Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1

I want to try installing Windows 10 on my Mac Pro 5,1, to use for an online college program that requires this OS (instead of dropping like $1000+ on a dedicated Windows machine that I may never touch again after I finish.) From what I've seen on Apple's documentation, installing W10 on any Mac Pro model before 2013 isn't officially supported, but I've read that it's still possible though not exactly easy. I'm aware that running W10 on virtual machine (e.g., Parallels) is an option, but I may end up having to run 3D graphics software in Windows, and I don't think that would work well on VM.

Between the threads and how-to videos/articles I've seen on this topic, each one seems to use different approaches and steps (like using a bootable USB stick vs. a DVD to install W10, trying to use Bootcamp Assistant vs. not bothering, how to install the necessary Bootcamp drivers, etc.) or install W10 on a different machine than the one I'm using, so I'm now confused on the best way to go about trying to do this on my computer. There's also the fact that some of these threads and videos are a few years old now, so for all I know, they may be outdated. I've also read that newer versions of W10 are problematic (like update 1903) when installed on an older Mac, so I'm not even sure if installing W10 is even possible nowadays.

Here's my current setup:

• Mac Pro 5,1 (mid-2012)
  • Unpartitioned HDD running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
  • I want to use a separate 500GB+ SSD dedicated just to W10
  • Dual 6-core processor
  • 64 GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon RX580 Sapphire graphics card (flashed with the Mac BIOS by MacVidCards, so I can access the startup options)
  • Apple keyboard (wired) and speakers, non-Apple mouse and monitor

I have other Apple computers that are new enough to officially support installing W10 through Bootcamp Assistant (a late 2013 MacBook Pro and a late 2015 iMac), but I want to try making it work on my Mac Pro so that I can make use of its beefier hardware (more plentiful RAM and stronger processor and graphics card.)

Any guidance/success stories or reference to an existing and working tutorial would be appreciated.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 8:24 PM

Just a note, you don't need all that for what you need it for, my cMP has it in Parallels, but I hear it works just well in the free Virtual box, no dual booting, run Win10 & OSX at the same time...

Similar questions

16 replies

Mar 12, 2020 10:00 PM in response to BDAqua

I happen to already have a copy of Parallels on my cMP that I use to run Ubuntu, so I could just add a Windows 10 VM to it after I purchase an activation key.

If you think it'll work well enough in virtualization, I can give that a try as a plan A - I guess I was just under the impression that virtualization would have significantly worse performance than a native installation. But then again, I haven't done much with virtual machines, so I could easily be wrong.

Mar 13, 2020 2:07 PM in response to BDAqua

They might still offer Windows 10 free, I’d have to check.

My online program is for game programming & development, but I’m not 100% what exact tools and software I’d be using. The only application named in the curriculum is Autodesk 3DS Max, a 3D modeling, rendering, and animation software.

Mar 14, 2020 3:51 PM in response to BDAqua

I suppose I can try doing a virtual machine as Plan A (since the setup is easier), then if that doesn't meet my needs, try doing a native install. Unfortunately, I likely won't know if virtualization will meet my needs until I actually start my program in early May.

I just want to know how to do a native install so I can be prepared if it comes to that, so thank you for sharing that forum thread with me.

Mar 30, 2020 11:05 AM in response to BDAqua

So as a bit of tinkering, I installed a Windows 10 virtual machine on Parallels and configured it for the "games" mode to hopefully get the most performance out of it. I haven't activated Windows yet, since I haven't really had a reason to yet - it's letting me run it just fine so far. As a test, I downloaded and installed Blender (an open-source 3D modeling, animation, and rendering application) on the virtual machine and tried running it.

First impressions aren't good. Even with an empty project, the app runs with a lot of lag. I'm guessing the biggest reason for this is the fact that I could only allocate a maximum of 8GB of virtual RAM to my virtual machine, coupled with the fact that the virtual machine uses system memory for graphics. I think it simply needs more memory to run 3D graphics software smoothly, which Parallels just won't let me give it.

It looks like this is a limitation of the standard edition of Parallels, as the Pro edition allows you to allocate up to 128GB of virtual RAM per virtual machine, along with more virtual CPUs. I could try upgrading, but I don't know for sure if being able to allocate more resources would even help or not, or if the issue lies with the use of virtualization itself.

Mar 30, 2020 11:32 AM in response to Community User

I do not run Windows.

But my impression is that if you have it installed in a virtual machine, it is not much more complex to add the bootcamp drivers and alternately boot it instead of MacOS. Then it is running directly on your Hardware, no Hypervisor, and access to all of RAM.

CAUTION: DO NOT run any Windows-native software that even thinks of changing the partition Map in any way. Windows does not understand it might be a guest Operating System, and doing that will clobber the Partition Map and eliminate your MacOS partition.

Apr 6, 2020 5:51 PM in response to BDAqua

Strange, I didn't encounter that issue when installing and opening Blender on Windows on my cMP. It never gave me any errors about the graphics card or drivers, it just runs super slow. Maybe it's a driver issue in your case? I might check my own drivers as well to see if they need to be updated.

After a bit of research on the issue of Blender running super slow, it's possible that it may be laggy due to reasons related to the application itself and not the virtual machine or hardware. I'll tinker with settings in the program to see if I can get any improvement, and try out other applications that make use of 3D graphics, to see if I run into the same kind of issue there.

Apr 30, 2020 1:39 PM in response to Community User

I can't remember the details now but during the time W10 was in beta I did manage to install it with no problems on a Mac Pro 5,1 using BootCamp and have since upgraded it to official W10 releases.

I believe the trick is doing this from what is now an older version of macOS with a corresponding older Boot Camp Assistant.

In other words it is Apple that has made it impossible in newer versions of macOS.

Install Windows 10 on a Mac Pro 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.