Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview changes size of png files when converting to pdf

I need to print a carefully sized image saved as a png file at a commercial printer service like Office Depot. I decided to convert it to a pdf via Preview. After printing I discovered that the picture size was altered (one element went from 2" to 2 3/8"). Looking back through the steps taken, I found that Preview changed the size when I used File/Export as PDF... I also tried dragging the png thumbnail to an already open pdf. This also changed the size of the image (2" to 2 1/8"). In all cases I was careful to always make sure the View/Actual Size menu choice was checked.

As it turns out I can print the png file, as is, at Office Depot via the printme service. So the problem is avoided. I would, however, appreciate any insights viewers might have on this issue.

Thanks,

Wash hands often and stay healthy!

John

16" 2016 Mac Book Pro running Mojave(10.14.6) with Preview 10.1 (944.6.16.1)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 6:50 AM

By default, Preview highly compresses and downsamples images saved as part of a PDF. That's what Preview does, and the user has no control over it.

If you have a situation where a PDF is required, you're going to have to use a much more professional product. Adobe Acrobat Pro is one. Though you could maybe try the free DC Reader and see what that does.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2020 6:50 AM in response to jhmiii

By default, Preview highly compresses and downsamples images saved as part of a PDF. That's what Preview does, and the user has no control over it.

If you have a situation where a PDF is required, you're going to have to use a much more professional product. Adobe Acrobat Pro is one. Though you could maybe try the free DC Reader and see what that does.

Preview changes size of png files when converting to pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.