Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do you have to have cellular data turned on in order to listen to music from your iphone to your bluetooth car stereo?

Do you have to have cellular data turned on in order to listen to music from your iphone to your bluetooth car stereo?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 9:36 AM

Andymon1950 wrote:

Thanks. that's interesting. In my 2013 GMC sierra, I have bluetooth. I can pair my phone and have to use a USB cable to listen to my itunes but as soon as I get out of range of my house or shop wifi, the music stops. I'm thinking I need to upgrade to a better stereo.

As Courcoul points out, it sounds as if the music you are trying to play is not actually downloaded on to your iPhone, but is being streamed from somewhere.

What exactly are you using for the music? Spotify? Amazon music? Apple Music?

Is the music downloaded onto your device?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Andymon1950

Andymon1950 wrote:

Thanks. that's interesting. In my 2013 GMC sierra, I have bluetooth. I can pair my phone and have to use a USB cable to listen to my itunes but as soon as I get out of range of my house or shop wifi, the music stops. I'm thinking I need to upgrade to a better stereo.

As Courcoul points out, it sounds as if the music you are trying to play is not actually downloaded on to your iPhone, but is being streamed from somewhere.

What exactly are you using for the music? Spotify? Amazon music? Apple Music?

Is the music downloaded onto your device?

Mar 13, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Andymon1950

That means the jingles are coming from some online service so the phone has to pull that from the 'Net somehow. If no Wi-Fi is available, then cellular data is the only other alternative.

In my Mom's Focus, my i8+ plays wirelessly too. But I carry about 3 days worth of music in the device (~8-10GB) so I need no connection to the 'Net at all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.