Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Disk Utility; best way to rid of Corrupted files/..or another way?

It seems; some websites have thrown me.. corrupted files: WHAT is the best way to Rid of these files on my Mac MINI? I'm on Mojave 10.14.6. there was another way/ on the Mac to diagnose problems/infected files..just cannot think of it..thanks! Larry In NYC NY

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 11:21 AM

Disk Utility does not remove corrupted files. You have to hunt them down and manually delete them. If you are referring to malware, then see Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes doesn't diagnose problems. It simply finds malware and quarantines it. If you have other problems then you need to detail those as separate from malware.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2020 11:21 AM in response to mid-century guy

Disk Utility does not remove corrupted files. You have to hunt them down and manually delete them. If you are referring to malware, then see Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes doesn't diagnose problems. It simply finds malware and quarantines it. If you have other problems then you need to detail those as separate from malware.

Mar 14, 2020 11:51 AM in response to mid-century guy

Shutdown Safari. Relaunch while holding the shift key. Now do the following:

1. If you do not have the Develop menu in Safari, select Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar
  2. Press option+command+e to clear your browser cache
  3. From the Safari menu, select Clear History : all history : Clear History
  4. In the Finder, press shift+command+g to open the Go to Folder dialog. Repeat this for the following entries:
    1. ~/Library/Safari/Databases
    2. ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage
    3. In each case, the Finder will land you inside these folders. Remove their contents if present
  5. If you have recently loaded a Safari extension, select Safari Preferences : Extensions, and either deselect the extension, or remove it entirely.
  6. Quit Safari, and relaunch normally.

Clearing browser cache with a page still viewed in the browser will cause the current site to install its cookie again.

Mar 14, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Kappy

I DID/ and down-loaded MalwareBytes; did a test; and nothing arose: BUT> I silll have my Safari infected with a fraudulent Safari /virus page; it's fake; and won't go away..I cannot even do a separate search" on Safari for any-thing. It's infected; what SHOULD I do?! it says' CONTACT APPLE" infected... its all fake.. I have to resort to my FireFox browser!! thx LR

Is Disk Utility; best way to rid of Corrupted files/..or another way?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.