Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk files on Mac

Hi! So I need to clean junk files from my Mac. Caches, unused files from deleted programs(leftovers) and basically everything unused, temporary files so on... All unused files. Everything that is not needed. Should I use Mac cleaning third party software and which one? What is the best way to do this? Also I don't want to spend a lot of time on that so if it can be a faster way that would be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 8:05 AM

Ditto to previous posters information.

To Add a bit of addition info below

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprise the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale.

What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

1 - Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac

MacKeeper,

Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

Open Cleaner one Pro

Macmechanic

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 8:05 AM in response to ladybug119

Ditto to previous posters information.

To Add a bit of addition info below

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprise the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale.

What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

1 - Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac

MacKeeper,

Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

Open Cleaner one Pro

Macmechanic

Read some of the posting and arrive at your own conclusions.

Feb 8, 2023 2:04 PM in response to ladybug119

Besides what to avoid here's what you should do:

It's good practice to reboot frequently, like every 2 days. This cleans out temporary system and application cache and swap files.

Also do an occasional (maybe once a month) boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac. Then reboot normally.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Feb 8, 2023 1:37 PM in response to ladybug119

Spring Cleaning a bit early ?

Does the computer experience unusual behaviours like crashes for sudden crashes of applications ?

Does the computer present an alert of " Running Low on Space " ?

If none of the above, would suggest not looking for trouble as trouble will find you some enough.

Should the User ( you ) still want to do some cleaning perhaps we need to see the General Condition of the computer as it is now

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues

Feb 8, 2023 7:55 AM in response to ladybug119

ladybug119 wrote:

Hi! So I need to clean junk files from my Mac. Caches, unused files from deleted programs(leftovers) and basically everything unused, temporary files so on... All unused files. Everything that is not needed. Should I use Mac cleaning third party software and which one? What is the best way to do this? Also I don't want to spend a lot of time on that so if it can be a faster way that would be appreciated.

Are you having an issue?

How would a third party app know what this files are(?)...

You are asking for trouble with third party apps along these lines— all known to cause issues on the macOS.

Feb 8, 2023 11:04 PM in response to PRP_53

Thanks to you and Old Toad for the advice! That is certainly helpful. No, no problems really I just thought I might clear out some space because I am sure I will run out soon again but I think I have enough for now. I thought if they take up too much space I should delete them, but I don't know, maybe they don't. Anyway thanks for the app, I might do some diagnostics just in case.

Junk files on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.