Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos don't record on MacBook Pro

Why won't Voice Memos record on MacBook Pros with macOS Catalina 10.15.3?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 15, 2020 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 5:25 AM

Thanks to Daniele who posted a comment to my video where it indicates the solution to the problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dgk8zs/voice_memos_not_working/

SOLUTION --> Go to sound settings in system control and check play User interface sound effects.

It works, it’s amazing. I’m excited. Anyway, it’s a bug to fix, because I don’t want to leave that option active. Apple? Apple, are you reading?????? Hey?????

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 5:25 AM in response to syagmurk

Thanks to Daniele who posted a comment to my video where it indicates the solution to the problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dgk8zs/voice_memos_not_working/

SOLUTION --> Go to sound settings in system control and check play User interface sound effects.

It works, it’s amazing. I’m excited. Anyway, it’s a bug to fix, because I don’t want to leave that option active. Apple? Apple, are you reading?????? Hey?????

Mar 17, 2020 6:28 AM in response to Emme313

Hello Emme313,

I understand that voice memos aren't recording on your Mac. I am happy to provide some information to help.

Below is an article that will walk you through the process of recording memos on your Mac.

Record a voice memo on your Mac

Use the articles below to troubleshoot any issues with your microphone:

If you can't record audio after installing macOS Mojave or later - Apple Support

Control access to your microphone on Mac - Apple Support

Change the sound input settings on Mac - Apple Support

Let me know if you were successful in recording voice memos.

Have a great day!

Mar 17, 2020 6:45 AM in response to dawngreg08

I know how to record a voice memo. Those are the exact steps I take. However, it doesn’t actually record. There is a bug in the app that needs to be fixed and released. I wish I could send a screen recording, but the photo I attached to my initial request shows how it stays still and does not actually record despite the Record button being selected.

Mar 22, 2020 2:14 PM in response to Chris_D13

Same problem for me. When I create a second account, "Voice Memos" works. But not on my main account, not even in safe mode: I read on some sites that can be linked to iCloud (but I can't log out from my iCloud account to make an app works and I don't even want to try). I tried to remove Voice Memos from synchronization but nothing changes.

It receives the recordings made on iPad via iCloud and I can edit but not add audio and even start a new recording: everything is blocked ...

All the app does is create 2KB files, for example: "20200322 212104.m4a". Which then disappears when I click on end or pause.

Microphone input works on any app and software.

In the settings, the app does not appear among those authorized to use the microphone but it cannot be added in any way.

I attach a video from youtube made by me where I show the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrdJSyf9X2A

Mar 26, 2020 6:25 AM in response to Emme313

I also have the same problem! I use macOS Catalina 10.15.3. There is nothing wrong with the microphone or sound settings. I reached out the online support three times already and they could not solve the problem.

The only thing I know is that this is a problem related to my user settings because when I changed another user, Voice Memo does work. Everything is fine, but with my user, when I play record, nothing happens. The time does not progress as in your screen.

I also did try rescue mode, SMD and NVRAM reseting, but again nothing changed. It is so boring.

Apr 19, 2020 3:39 AM in response to Emme313

Hi everyone, I had the same problem and believe me I did anything you can think of. Apple Services recommended a bunch of stuff for me to apply including uploading the new version of Catalina and they did not work. I believe it is a bug they have to fix for all Catalina versions. I had to move to a new user to be able to use the application and it worked but it is annoying to transfer all my stuff from my old user to the new one. If you don't mind that, you can also do the same.

Voice Memos don't record on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.