You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 Basic Content Download

I've been searching for an answer to this issue, but nothing worked so far.

I'm using El Capitan with Logic Pro 9. I've been working this way for many many years and have just formatted my mac and this issue came up, and no solutions so far.

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 16, 2020 12:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2020 8:26 PM

Thanks for the response,

Problem Description: on a new/fresh reinstallation of Logic Pro (Not version X) from the App Store, the first thing it does on launch is attempt to download an "Essenitial Software" file of 2 GB in size. The only option is "Quit" which also quits logic if you select it. This also occurs for the GarageBand and MainStage Applications I reinstalled on my macs.

This download will progress all the way to the end, and then FAIL, reporting that the content could not be downloaded.

All menus from within Logic Pro are disabled so there is no way to perform an increment installation of this content.

All discussion threads on this topic that I could find had no solution. One pointed to a link that was dead. One mentioned interference from Little Snitch. I have it on one machine, but not others, and the behavior is the same for all of them.

I called into Apple support, and requested a support callback. While waiting for the callback, I decided to search the support downloads section on my own, on a lark specifically for Logic Pro 9 software, and found the updaters and installers for version 9 and prior. There are two files, a smaller one and a much larger one (over 18 GB). I downloaded and installed the smaller of the two, and was downloading the larger of the two when Apple Support returned my earlier call. The support person confirmed that I had stumbled upon the correct course of action to resolve this issue.

After ALL the content of the latter one was installed (there are many smaller images to install separately), I was able to get Logic operating properly again. Of course, it still tried to continue downloading the 2 GB file that will fail, and I cancelled it.

When I restarted the CPU after all of this, it reported that all content was installed.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 7, 2020 8:26 PM in response to Wilddrums

Thanks for the response,

Problem Description: on a new/fresh reinstallation of Logic Pro (Not version X) from the App Store, the first thing it does on launch is attempt to download an "Essenitial Software" file of 2 GB in size. The only option is "Quit" which also quits logic if you select it. This also occurs for the GarageBand and MainStage Applications I reinstalled on my macs.

This download will progress all the way to the end, and then FAIL, reporting that the content could not be downloaded.

All menus from within Logic Pro are disabled so there is no way to perform an increment installation of this content.

All discussion threads on this topic that I could find had no solution. One pointed to a link that was dead. One mentioned interference from Little Snitch. I have it on one machine, but not others, and the behavior is the same for all of them.

I called into Apple support, and requested a support callback. While waiting for the callback, I decided to search the support downloads section on my own, on a lark specifically for Logic Pro 9 software, and found the updaters and installers for version 9 and prior. There are two files, a smaller one and a much larger one (over 18 GB). I downloaded and installed the smaller of the two, and was downloading the larger of the two when Apple Support returned my earlier call. The support person confirmed that I had stumbled upon the correct course of action to resolve this issue.

After ALL the content of the latter one was installed (there are many smaller images to install separately), I was able to get Logic operating properly again. Of course, it still tried to continue downloading the 2 GB file that will fail, and I cancelled it.

When I restarted the CPU after all of this, it reported that all content was installed.

Apr 7, 2020 4:45 PM in response to Daniel O'Leary

Telling us its legacy software is not helpful

Knowing it is Legacy may not be useful, but it means it is no longer supported and that you may be on your own. It also means you encounter issues.

Downloading the Apps works, but the essential content fails

That describes a bit the issue. Any error message? What happens exactly?

Meanwhile, it seems Apple still provides some sort of support for Logic 9. Here a link: Apple - Support - Downloads. Look for Logic 9 Legacy content...

I didn't test it and don't know if it works.

WD

Apr 8, 2020 6:48 AM in response to Wilddrums

I’m glad it worked too. The location of these files and the requirement to install them probably should be added to the description of the applications found on the App Store so others do not have to figure out why their re-installation on a crease disk will result in a failure.

Alternatively, whatever is wrong “under the hood” (something that is still a mystery) with these apps should be fixed within the apps themselves and revised versions uploaded to the the App Store. I know that willl not happen in a post Steve Jobs era.

Logic Pro 9 Basic Content Download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.