Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First Generation Apple TV, can't sign in due to two-factor authentication.

Hello, I have an a first generation apple TV, and I can't sign into my iTunes or iCloud accounts because of the two-factor authentication. I also saw that I can no longer remove the two-factor authentication, so is there anyway I can sign into the Apple TV?

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 7:20 AM

If your Apple TV is a 3.9" black box, then it is at least 2nd generation.

If your Apple TV is a 7.7" white/aluminum box, then it is 1st generation.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Many on this forum have misidentified their older model, hence my request for confirmation.

To sign in on your 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV, while having two-factor authentication active, requires a bit of an adjustment for the procedure. Please see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250420575.

The Apple TV (1st generation) can no longer connect to the iTunes Store, and can no longer sync with modern iTunes versions. It is obsolete from both a support point of view, as well as practically.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2020 7:20 AM in response to gughi272

If your Apple TV is a 3.9" black box, then it is at least 2nd generation.

If your Apple TV is a 7.7" white/aluminum box, then it is 1st generation.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Many on this forum have misidentified their older model, hence my request for confirmation.

To sign in on your 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV, while having two-factor authentication active, requires a bit of an adjustment for the procedure. Please see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250420575.

The Apple TV (1st generation) can no longer connect to the iTunes Store, and can no longer sync with modern iTunes versions. It is obsolete from both a support point of view, as well as practically.

First Generation Apple TV, can't sign in due to two-factor authentication.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.