Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 2 - iPhone 5S

Just purchased a mint condition, unpaired Apple Watch Series 2. Everything I read online said it would work with my older (still nice!) iPhone 5S. However, it will not pair! Watch OS 6 will not allow it to pair to a 5S iPhone.

These devices should work together. That's the whole point of buying multiple devices in this ecosystem.

What can I do? What are my options?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 9:47 AM

WatchOS 6 requires iOS 13. An iPhone 6 cannot run iOS 13. This is a technical limitation

If the watch was updated to watchOS 6 then it will not work with your iPhone 6.

It would have worked, if it was still on watchOS 5 or earlier.

If Apple can't or won't do it there's no way to downgrade watchOS versions unfortunately.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2020 9:47 AM in response to Ctgriffith

WatchOS 6 requires iOS 13. An iPhone 6 cannot run iOS 13. This is a technical limitation

If the watch was updated to watchOS 6 then it will not work with your iPhone 6.

It would have worked, if it was still on watchOS 5 or earlier.

If Apple can't or won't do it there's no way to downgrade watchOS versions unfortunately.

Mar 18, 2020 12:47 PM in response to deggie

Final Update: No difficulty making the Genius Bar appointment, but they were unable to offer any solutions.

This watch will, apparently, never again be able to work with any iPhone prior to the 6S.

Unless.

Apple® makes a counter-cultural, deeply-determined effort to better support older devices and keep valuable stuff from collecting dust on a shelf or piling up in landfills.

Stranger things have happened, right? Peace out

Mar 17, 2020 9:16 AM in response to Ctgriffith

There is a slight possibility that apple may downgrade the watch to a version that would pair with your 5s,but this has had mixed results on this forum,it's worth a try but if they won't downgrade the watch,then only a phone with ios13 or higher will pair with the watch.

Mar 17, 2020 3:20 PM in response to deggie

Thanks for that response, deggie... I'm starting to think that's the only way, too.

However, I just chatted with Apple Support again and, this time, was told to take the watch by a Genius Bar; they "may" be able to roll it back to square one, original factory settings, etc. I will probably give this a try, although it doesn't sound like a 100% solution (might've been a seat of the pants, get-this-guy-off-of-my-back, kind of answer). Very difficult to get the straight stuff from those folks; probably been coached to just dither and deflect, when the news is not good...

Apple Watch Series 2 - iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.