Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac keeps switching to Finder

Ok, so I asked this question a while back but wasn't able to go back and reply to it fast enough, so the thread is locked.

I am having the trouble that sometimes (not all of the time) my Mac keeps switching over to Finder. It even seems to be a specific Finder window, because it can switch over from a different desktop to the "primary" one.

I think that related to this, it is refusing to connect to my iPhone. It says that it can't read the content of my iPhone and recommends me to perform a factory reset. Which of course I don't, because I haven't been able to backup the iPhone to the computer for a while now (I think the iCloud backups are fine though). It seems that when it tries to connect to my iPhone, the trouble appears. And I can't make it stop! Once I got it to show me a dialogue about not being able to connect to the iPhone, and when I clicked that it stopped. But most of the time I can't get that to appear. So, please advice...

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 4:20 AM

PerzecSquared wrote:

Ah yes, sorry. If I'm in Safari, Word, Steam, or any other app, my computer suddenly makes a switch over to the Finder. If I'm in full-screen mode, it slides over to the desktop where my Finder windows are. If I'm not in full-screen, it just changes from the app and puts the finder windows on top. This can happen in the middle of me typing (like it did when i posted this original post, several times).

I have been keeping on trying to pin the error down, and finally I reset my iPhone. So far, this has seemed to solve the problem. But I am still uncertain why this error would appear at all, just because my computer couldn't read the content of my iPhone. Shouldn't it just give up, instead of sending me over to Finder repeatedly without telling me anything once I'm there?

To trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login and test. Reboot and test will take a little longer as caches get rebuilt.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2020 4:20 AM in response to PerzecSquared

PerzecSquared wrote:

Ah yes, sorry. If I'm in Safari, Word, Steam, or any other app, my computer suddenly makes a switch over to the Finder. If I'm in full-screen mode, it slides over to the desktop where my Finder windows are. If I'm not in full-screen, it just changes from the app and puts the finder windows on top. This can happen in the middle of me typing (like it did when i posted this original post, several times).

I have been keeping on trying to pin the error down, and finally I reset my iPhone. So far, this has seemed to solve the problem. But I am still uncertain why this error would appear at all, just because my computer couldn't read the content of my iPhone. Shouldn't it just give up, instead of sending me over to Finder repeatedly without telling me anything once I'm there?

To trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login and test. Reboot and test will take a little longer as caches get rebuilt.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Mar 18, 2020 3:19 AM in response to PerzecSquared

PerzecSquared wrote:

Ok, so I asked this question a while back but wasn't able to go back and reply to it fast enough, so the thread is locked.

I am having the trouble that sometimes (not all of the time) my Mac keeps switching over to Finder. It even seems to be a specific Finder window, because it can switch over from a different desktop to the "primary" one.

I think that related to this, it is refusing to connect to my iPhone. It says that it can't read the content of my iPhone and recommends me to perform a factory reset. Which of course I don't, because I haven't been able to backup the iPhone to the computer for a while now (I think the iCloud backups are fine though). It seems that when it tries to connect to my iPhone, the trouble appears. And I can't make it stop! Once I got it to show me a dialogue about not being able to connect to the iPhone, and when I clicked that it stopped. But most of the time I can't get that to appear. So, please advice...

I do not understand what is the exact issue?

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Use Mission Control on your Mac - Apple Support

Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support

If this is a compatibility issue with your macOS and your iOS then you need to state :

—what macOS you are currently running, on what exact Mac??

—what iOS you are currently running and what exact iPhone??

Mar 24, 2020 2:23 AM in response to leroydouglas

Ok, so I tested this. And when I boot in SafeBoot mode, I can't connect the iPhone at all. I mean, if I go into System Info and look at USB connections, it's there and properly identified. But the iPhone doesn't receive any charge from the USB cable and it doesn't show up in Finder. I also have strange issues with the graphics, in the Finder doesn't properly display certain things in SafeBoot mode (can't see the + to add new tabs in Finder for example, and there are lots of graphic artefacts when switching between two desktops). And when I boot back into the usual mode, I get the same error when trying to connect the iPhone (see image).

Mar 18, 2020 3:51 AM in response to leroydouglas

May 5, 2020 8:06 AM in response to PerzecSquared

Ok, so I tested this. And when I boot in SafeBoot mode, I can't connect the iPhone at all.

There are many things that don't work in Safe Mode. It is not meant to be a substitute work environment; it is there to troubleshoot issues like yours. You are just trying to see if the problem still occurs in Safe Mode.

If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode, then you likely have some third-party system modification that is causing the problem.

May 5, 2020 8:11 AM in response to a1000faces

This has been happening to me as well and it has been driving me crazy! I thought that it was some sort of virus or malware. But I've turned off my phone and it seems to have stopped. But how do I keep it from happening?

That sounds like the iPhone sync in the Finder may be causing the Finder to pop up. I connected my iPhone once to make the initial connection, but just use WiFi, now. I don't have the problem you describe.

May 5, 2020 11:51 PM in response to Barney-15E

I have finally got it to stop happening. I did two things, and I'm not sure which of them made the final difference.

First I reset my iPhone completely. That seemed to work for a bit, but the problem returned after a while.

Then I did a complete reinstall of MacOS (just the OS, not a completely reformatted drive). These two things in combination seems to have made the problem go away.

Mac keeps switching to Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.