Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Got electrocuted by my phone!

Hello and good day!

Two days ago I was charging my iPhone XS MAX and I got electrocuted by it! I was using an original Apple charger connected to an extension chord. My phone has a very thick plastic case and a screen protector. I picked up my phone to answer a text and while i was not touching the phone in itself but just the case and the screen protector, it was fine. I answered my texts without any issue. Then, I decided to turn on silent mode (the volume switch is one of the only parts not covered by the case) and when I touched the metal switch, I felt electricity go all the way up to my shoulder! I instantly dropped my phone and disconnected it. Thank God nothing happened, but it was a big scare.

So far, nothing else has happened but I am afraid to use it while charging or that it might electrocute me again.

Please help.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 18, 2020 10:56 AM

10 replies

Mar 18, 2020 4:56 PM in response to Victoriamunozdom

I seriously doubt that you were using an original Apple USB power source. Apple adapters have 100% line isolation. Many ripoffs look identical, but don’t isolate the output from the input. See these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exfmbsPqEI

Apple iPod chargers - fake versus genuine - YouTube

Also, see this about cables:

Why Counterfeit Lightning Cables Kill iPhones - Motherboard

Mar 18, 2020 2:06 PM in response to deggie

Hmm, I doubt it as I've experienced static discharges before and its normally just gone in a split of a second. This sensation was very different and it was persistent until I let my phone go and much more strong than any static discharge I've ever experienced (and I loved to "charge up" by rubbing my feet against a rug when I was little). I felt like electrical waves all the way up to my shoulder and I didnt drop my phone the second I felt the charge, I held on for over a second and the sensation persisted. I really doubt it was so, honestly as it was too strong of sensation. Thank you again for taking the time!

Got electrocuted by my phone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.