Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain after SSD upgrade

Currently using my MacBook Pro Early 2015 and decided to upgrade my standard SSD (apple ssd sm0256g media) to the Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD. It's been 2 days since, and I began to notice a significant battery drainage overnight on sleep mode and this morning the battery went from 100% to 65% in about 10 hours. I've heard possible causes such as re-indexing when installing a fresh OS and backups, not inserting SSD correctly, couple of days/weeks the battery should go back to normal as the laptop is running many background task since SSD upgrade. My question is what could be the legitimate cause for this and is it normal for the battery to drain quicker from SSD upgrade?

Thanks in advanced.

Posted on Mar 19, 2020 3:15 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 20, 2020 12:40 PM in response to spidermengmeng

Hi, spidermengmeng.

I'm glad you decided to reach out on Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you upgraded the SSD in your MacBook Pro a few days ago, and you’re looking for assurance that the lower than usual batter life is normal. If we’re on the same page, I’ve got you covered.

Apple has a great reference article for MacBook battery concerns.  Check it out: About Mac notebook batteries

If you scroll down to the “My battery runtime is low” section, you’ll see that your battery life is completely normal right now. The technical specifications for your MacBook note that your machine should receive 10-12 hours of power during normal usage. Since your MacBook is re-indexing, it sounds like the 45% it loses in 10 hours is about what you should expect.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) - Technical Specifications

Availing yourself of the tips provided in the section I referenced above to optimize your battery life is always a great practice, too. I suggest working through that process and using Activity Monitor to monitor your energy usage if you feel like it hasn’t returned to normal in a timely fashion.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac

Best Regards.

Mar 21, 2020 12:30 PM in response to spidermengmeng

spidermengmeng,

Indexing is basically organizing your file-system on your Mac so that it can more quickly find the files that it needs when you ask it to perform a task. Re-indexing is rebuilding the system. This generally happens after a software update or upgrade, when you reinstall the macOS or set it up for the first time and transfer your files from a backup or other source, or when you manually rebuild the index as outlined here:

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers.

Mar 21, 2020 4:11 PM in response to spidermengmeng

First, and this is not a guarantee it is causing issues ... Samsung Evo has been known to cause issues with Mac. I have not seen a full and complete explanation of "why" except a list of "possibly ______", including possibly an issue with Samsung SSD firmware. But do not worry too much about it unless that occurs..

Now to power issues ... try an SMC reset as sometimes the SMC controller gets a bit confused about managing power: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 20, 2020 10:55 PM in response to sterling r

Hi sterling r,

Thank you very much for the helpful information and articles. Would just like to note I did check my battery condition and it is normal, so I would assume it is the re-indexing like you mentioned which takes up most of the background tasks while my laptop is on sleep which drains overnight.

What exactly is re-indexing? As I cannot find any supported articles.

Best regards.

Battery drain after SSD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.