Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Drain Monterey 12.5

Hi everyone,

has anyone noticed a battery drain after updating to the last update Monterey 12.5? I did an update yesterday on my MacBook 14 Pro and since then I've noticed a battery draining which did not exist before. Checked all the applications and battery's performance and didn't find any issues. BTW, a short time after the update my MacBook freezed unexpectedly and then restarted automatically.

It could be a problem related to the mentioned update Monterey 12.5?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 4:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2022 6:12 AM

Update to the latest software.

Always make sure your MacBook is using the latest version of macOS. If you’re connected to the Internet, macOS automatically checks for software updates every week, but you still control when the updates are installed. To confirm that you’re using the latest software, go to the Apple menu and choose Software Update.

Learn more about updating macOS

Optimize your settings.

Energy. The Energy Saver preference pane includes several settings that determine power levels for your MacBook. Your MacBook knows when it’s plugged in and runs accordingly. When using battery power, it dims the screen and uses other components sparingly. If you change this setting to maximize performance, your battery will drain more quickly.

Brightness. Dim the screen to the lowest comfortable level to achieve maximum battery life. For instance, when watching a video on an airplane, you may not need full brightness if the cabin lights are off.

Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi consumes power, even if you are not using it to connect to a network. You can turn it off in the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar or in Network preferences.

Applications and peripherals. Disconnect peripherals and quit applications not in use. Eject an SD card if you’re not currently accessing it.

Plug in and power on your MacBook to charge other devices.

Make sure your MacBook is plugged in and powered on when you’re using it to charge other devices via USB. Otherwise those devices may drain the battery in your MacBook faster than normal. If another device is connected to your MacBook when it’s turned off or in sleep or standby mode, the device’s battery may drain.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2022 6:12 AM in response to pioklym

Update to the latest software.

Always make sure your MacBook is using the latest version of macOS. If you’re connected to the Internet, macOS automatically checks for software updates every week, but you still control when the updates are installed. To confirm that you’re using the latest software, go to the Apple menu and choose Software Update.

Learn more about updating macOS

Optimize your settings.

Energy. The Energy Saver preference pane includes several settings that determine power levels for your MacBook. Your MacBook knows when it’s plugged in and runs accordingly. When using battery power, it dims the screen and uses other components sparingly. If you change this setting to maximize performance, your battery will drain more quickly.

Brightness. Dim the screen to the lowest comfortable level to achieve maximum battery life. For instance, when watching a video on an airplane, you may not need full brightness if the cabin lights are off.

Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi consumes power, even if you are not using it to connect to a network. You can turn it off in the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar or in Network preferences.

Applications and peripherals. Disconnect peripherals and quit applications not in use. Eject an SD card if you’re not currently accessing it.

Plug in and power on your MacBook to charge other devices.

Make sure your MacBook is plugged in and powered on when you’re using it to charge other devices via USB. Otherwise those devices may drain the battery in your MacBook faster than normal. If another device is connected to your MacBook when it’s turned off or in sleep or standby mode, the device’s battery may drain.

Jul 23, 2022 7:58 PM in response to pioklym

I have a MacBook Pro 16, and I definitely have a battery drain problem after updating to Monterey 12.5. I know the drill about checking all the settings to make sure they're easy on the battery, but before Monterey 12.5, I easily got a full day out my battery with how I use my Mac. No settings have changed and I'm still using it the same way, and I don't even get a half day out of it now. I just hope it doesn't take too long for Apple to admit it and fix it.

Jul 23, 2022 10:50 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

I didn't mean to imply it's affecting everyone. I bought an iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 15.x and not long after I bought it, Apple released an iOS update that caused a significant battery drain. It did eventually get fixed. Now I recently bought this MacBook Pro 16 with M1 Max, lots of memory and storage, and shortly after I have to deal with a battery drain issue on that now. It's a little frustrating.

Aug 10, 2022 8:39 AM in response to pioklym

After updating to Monterey 12.5, I too started to see very fast battery drain on my MacBook Air M1. My battery used to last 3-4 days on casual use. Now it doesn't even last a whole day. Also battery drain during sleep is very significant. Like if I just close the lid after closing all the programs at around 25%, my MacBook won't start again until I plug in the adapter. Good to know others are facing same issue and its not just me. Hope Apple looks into this.

Aug 16, 2022 1:43 AM in response to pioklym

There are multiple different reasons that causes the Mac battery draining fast issue. However, to fix the problem, you can try the below fixes:

1. Restart your Mac

2. Install latest macOS updates

3. Check battery usage in System Preferences

4. Reset PRAM/NVRAM and SMC

5. Turn off Power Nap

Hope this will help you resolve the issue!

Aug 16, 2022 7:53 AM in response to ckatsuki

Yes me too. I have setting up everything as per instruction. I even format my hard disk and reinstall the OS. it still occurs to me. All the steps to fix the issue doesnt work for me at all. Restart? done it. Reinstall OS? done it. still the same and im quite worried as i need to constantly charge my macbook air almost every day. My battery health right now at 96% and its normal but if this keeps on going, im afraid it might decrease and damage my battery. I hope Apple patch this bug ASAP. I already checked if any of my applications prevent the mac from sleep, but everything in place, no application prevents it.

Aug 16, 2022 9:24 AM in response to ckatsuki

My Macbook does need to unlock it once i open the lid back. It does look like its "sleeping" but the battery keeps on draining. i even click the "Sleep" button. still the same. When I shut down the macbook, it does shutdown. its just a sleep issue. everything looks normal when i close the lid like before updating to 12.5 but the battery keeps on draining. Really weird bug.

Battery Drain Monterey 12.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.