Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Option to Backup iPhone for macOS Catalina

Hi All,

This issue I've been experiencing is that when I connect my iPhone X to my Macbook Air, the trust dialog popped up (I trusted the device), and my phone appeared in the left hand column when I open up Finder. However, when I select my phone, I have no option to update, only to restore. I've browsed through a number of posts, reset location and privacy settings, relaunched Finder, and may have reset NVRAM. I've attached a screenshot of what this looks like. Is this iOS- or macOS-related, or both? Does anyone have any solutions? Any input would be appreciated.

iPhone X

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 2:51 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2020 11:30 AM in response to am90am1ysp

I believe that once iOS is installed, then you will get an option to restore as New or restore from a Backup. Unfortunately, an iCloud backup does not include everything that is included by a backup to the computer.

iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device. iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Photos, iMessages, Voice Memos, text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages, and Health data
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Mail data
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or Apple Books store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)

The above is excerpted from About backups for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

I have found that connecting the iPhone through a hub may or may not work. I have a HooToo 4-port hub to which I connect my iPhone 7. Finder has no trouble displaying the data on my phone. However, I also have a CalDigit dock but connecting through the CalDigit dock doesn't work at all. The dock connects directly to a TB3 port on my 2019 5K iMac, whereas, the hub connects to a USB 3 port on the iMac. Why my phone works on one but not the other is a mystery.

Mar 22, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Kappy

I have it connected to a USB port that's part of a USB-C hub. I also tried connecting my phone to my MacBook Air with a USB to USB-C adapter purchased directly from Apple since I think I came across someone mentioning that non-OEM cables could be problematic. Regardless, if I choose "Restore iPhone," can I use the most recent iCloud backup after everything is wiped?

Mar 25, 2020 4:19 PM in response to Kappy

I'm using this hub made by Uni: https://uniaccessories.io/products/uni-usb-c-6-in-1-hub-1. I wanted something that provided enough cable so it wouldn't be hanging off of my MacBook Air while on a Rain laptop stand. I use the Apple A/C adapter that came with the MacBook Air to power it. I just purchased a USB-C to Lightning cable, but that didn't change the screen that's displayed when I connect my phone.

Strangely enough, I clicked on 'Restore iPhone,' but nothing happens. Seems like I'm going to have to select 'Erase All Content and Settings' from my phone than have another go at this. I'll report back with the outcome.

I appreciate all of your tips and feedback!

Edit: I connected the iPhone directly to the USB-C port on the MacBook Air instead of one of the USB 3.0 ports on the hub.

No Option to Backup iPhone for macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.