Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change from Catalina back to High Sierra

I updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina, but now certain plugins in my music software do not work. I want to revert back to what I had before (I believe it’s high Sierra). So I tried to restore from a previous backup in time machine, but got the following:

“the system can’t be restored onto this disk because HFS systems can’t be restored to space sharing APFS volumes. ReInstall macOS on this disk and then use Migration Assistant to transfer data from your backup instead.”

does anyone know what this means, and how I could do get back to high Sierra?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 4:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 12:48 PM

Boot from your Time Machine back up.

Open Disk Utility and change the View to Show All Devices.

Select the internal drive (not Macintosh HD) and click Erase. Change the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Partition Scheme GUID and name the volume Macintosh HD. Click Erase. Close Disk Utility.

Select Restore From Time Machine Backup.

Select the back up you want to restore and continue.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2020 12:48 PM in response to jtgrimshaw

Boot from your Time Machine back up.

Open Disk Utility and change the View to Show All Devices.

Select the internal drive (not Macintosh HD) and click Erase. Change the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Partition Scheme GUID and name the volume Macintosh HD. Click Erase. Close Disk Utility.

Select Restore From Time Machine Backup.

Select the back up you want to restore and continue.

Change from Catalina back to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.