Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor Resolution Options

I just updated a Mac Mini to Catalina, and now my external display resolution is cutting off the Top/Bottom sections of the screen. So, I can no longer see the icons on the Dock (set to bottom of the screen) nor can I see the Menu items on the top of the screen. When I go into the Display Preferences and press the Option key while clicking on 'Scaled', none of the options work with my monitor. My display (32in Magnavox TV) has 1366x768 resolution, but none of the options work. I've even tried 1080p and 1080i with the same result. This was working before the update and I can remember the ability to adjust the screen scaling, but it seems to have disappeared. How do I get my display to properly scale to show the entire screen?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 22, 2020 12:39 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 23, 2020 2:29 PM in response to wjohnson36

Hey wjohnson36,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you have some question about using an external display.

You mentioned that none of the scaled options are working as expected, what about "Default for display"? Does that make the Dock and menu bar visible?

You can see more about display settings here: Change your Mac's display's resolution

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Mar 27, 2020 6:00 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks, but another no-go. I do remember an option in previous versions of MacOS, but nothing here. BUT...when I go into the MacOS User Guide tool, it shows an option called 'Overscan' to be used when using a TV as a display and you can't see the menu bar (me issue). BUT...there is no Overscan option in the Displays section of Preferences. Any ideas how to get the Overscan option to display? It won't display for 'Default for Display' nor 'Scaled' options.

Mar 24, 2020 12:37 PM in response to SandsOfArrakis

Thanks for the suggestion, the issue with this app is it's managed via the Menu Bar, which I can't see in the screen. From the looks of it, it also just replicates the choices available through the Preferences tool.

I'm beginning to believe this is an issue with the Monitor as every resolution choice still hides most/all of each edge of the screen. When I plug my laptop into the TV as a monitor, I get the same issue. BUT...the TV doesn't have any toolset to adjust the screen size/position. It shows the options in the manual, but of course they don't show up on the screen. I might need to find an alternative solution for the monitor.

External Monitor Resolution Options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.