Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2560 × 1600 scaling missing in Big Sur for the built-in display

I recently updated to Mac OS Big Sur and I noticed that everything is bigger on my screen and if I remember, there were 5 display scaling options in settings, but now there are only 4 and it is missing the one I was using which is 2560 x 1600. I've looked online but couldn't find any answer regarding the built-in display scaling.

I have tried using the alt/option key and click on "scaling" but it doesn't seem to work with the built-in display. I've reset the NVRAM/PRAM and it didn't change anything.

My setup: Macbook Pro 2014 retina 13 inches. There is NO external monitor attached to it.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 26, 2021 3:57 PM

6 replies

May 27, 2021 11:38 AM in response to vinc.beaulieu

Hello vinc.beaulieu,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! We understand you are looking for some assistance with changing the resolution on your Mac after doing an update. We are happy to help provide some guidance.

It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting steps so far by resetting the NVRAM. Just to make sure that those steps were performed correctly, make sure that the steps you took were the same as what is showing here:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If those were the steps that were followed and the issue continues, we would next try booting the Mac into safe mode. Booting into safe mode clears some system information and caches that might be preventing some settings from being applied. Once you restart out of safe mode, try changing the resolution again:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Change your Mac display’s resolution

Keep us updated on how it goes!

Best Regards.

May 28, 2021 1:21 PM in response to vinc.beaulieu

I just reached out to the support, and after doing some troubleshooting without any success, it appears that the issue is related to the OS itself and does affect other retina display models as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252095116

I dought it is an installation problem, however, I'll perform a clean install of the OS and if this doesn't solve the problem, the advisor suggested that I contact the development team through this link to report the bug:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I'll keep updating this thread through the process.

May 27, 2021 6:00 PM in response to brianj123

Hello brianj123,

Thank you for your reply.

I retried the NVRAM reset again following the step-by-step guide you provided, waited for the 2 chimes. But, still no change.

I also booted in safe mode, and again, no change.

I've provided screenshots of the settings after NVRAM/PRAM reset and during safe mode. And also, one that shows how it use to be before the update.

Figure 1: After NVRAM/PRAM Reset.

Figure 2: In Safe Mode.

Figure 3: How it used to be in Catalina:

The right-most option is what is missing in the new OS.

May 28, 2021 8:40 AM in response to vinc.beaulieu

Thanks for keeping us updated as well as providing those screenshots. What is the maximum resolution showing when you select the right most option for the "More Space"? What does it show that resolution is? If that resolution is not 2560 x 1600, the next step we would recommend would be to reach out to Apple Support directly to look further into the situation. You can reach out directly using this link: Get Support

2560 × 1600 scaling missing in Big Sur for the built-in display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.