Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious battery drain on 16 in MacBook Pro

since Ive had it the battery drain on my new MacBook Pro is awful. I might be lucky to get 2 hours of charge out of it. depending on what I do. I was using Playgrounds with my son yesterday and the battery went from 40% to 20% in about 10 minutes. Even now, as I am researching all the other questions like this in the last 15 minutes it has fallen 5% and all I'm doing is using safari. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2020 1:00 PM

I got my 2019 MBP 16" a week ago and ran into the same issue....3.5 hours of battery, so I started digging and got it corrected. Here's ALL the steps I took. Once I completed these steps, I let the MBP drain to 0% battery and recharged it.

My new battery time is about 9-10 hours. So, wanted to share this out for others.

1. I've learned when I buy a new Mac the best first immediate step is to go in and do an internet recovery and erase the HD and reinstall MacOS. This way you're getting the latest version without having to install OS updates. Do this before installing anything....and install fresh. Not from Time Machine. Best steps are here...thanks to MacWorld!: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/reset-mac-3494564/
  2. System Settings>Energy Saver I checked the box "Automatic Graphics switching"
  3. System Settings>Bluetooth>Advanced>Uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices wake this computer"
  4. System Settings>Notifications>Turn on Do Not Disturb>When Display is sleeping/When Screen is locked.
  5. Install TurboBoost Switcher (free app) This keeps your MBP from throttling up to turbo mode if you don't do high powered Pro-style apps
  6. Install gfxCard Status (free app or Pro for $$). This apps helps to keep your Graphics card mainly on the integrated graphics. https://gfx.io/
  7. Set the above steps into place and restart the MBP.

One thing to know is it takes about 3-4 battery cycles for the MBP battery to get "set".

NOW, with the above steps taken, reset the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Yes, ensure your Mac is plugged in to your power supply.

Notebook computers with the T2 chip(yes this applies to the 16" MBP)

Before resetting the SMC:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down your Mac with power plugged in.
  2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.
  • Control  on the left side of your keyboard
  • Option (Alt) on the left side of your keyboard
  • Shift on the right side of your keyboard

Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then THEN press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.

Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.

Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Resetting the NVRAM/PRAM

With the power supply plugged into the Mac, power it off. Reboot and immediately press and hold these four keys together:

Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

Now I'm working on getting that annoying speaker popping and crackling fixed. THEN it will be perfect.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2020 1:00 PM in response to nickeled1

I got my 2019 MBP 16" a week ago and ran into the same issue....3.5 hours of battery, so I started digging and got it corrected. Here's ALL the steps I took. Once I completed these steps, I let the MBP drain to 0% battery and recharged it.

My new battery time is about 9-10 hours. So, wanted to share this out for others.

1. I've learned when I buy a new Mac the best first immediate step is to go in and do an internet recovery and erase the HD and reinstall MacOS. This way you're getting the latest version without having to install OS updates. Do this before installing anything....and install fresh. Not from Time Machine. Best steps are here...thanks to MacWorld!: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/reset-mac-3494564/
  2. System Settings>Energy Saver I checked the box "Automatic Graphics switching"
  3. System Settings>Bluetooth>Advanced>Uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices wake this computer"
  4. System Settings>Notifications>Turn on Do Not Disturb>When Display is sleeping/When Screen is locked.
  5. Install TurboBoost Switcher (free app) This keeps your MBP from throttling up to turbo mode if you don't do high powered Pro-style apps
  6. Install gfxCard Status (free app or Pro for $$). This apps helps to keep your Graphics card mainly on the integrated graphics. https://gfx.io/
  7. Set the above steps into place and restart the MBP.

One thing to know is it takes about 3-4 battery cycles for the MBP battery to get "set".

NOW, with the above steps taken, reset the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Yes, ensure your Mac is plugged in to your power supply.

Notebook computers with the T2 chip(yes this applies to the 16" MBP)

Before resetting the SMC:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down your Mac with power plugged in.
  2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of the following keys. Your Mac might turn on.
  • Control  on the left side of your keyboard
  • Option (Alt) on the left side of your keyboard
  • Shift on the right side of your keyboard

Keep holding all three keys for 7 seconds, then THEN press and hold the power button as well. If your Mac is on, it will turn off as you hold the keys.

Keep holding all four keys for another 7 seconds, then release them.

Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Resetting the NVRAM/PRAM

With the power supply plugged into the Mac, power it off. Reboot and immediately press and hold these four keys together:

Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

Now I'm working on getting that annoying speaker popping and crackling fixed. THEN it will be perfect.

Hope this helps!

Mar 24, 2020 11:59 AM in response to nickeled1

Hello nickeled1.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have been experiencing issues with battery life on your MacBook Pro. I definitely know how important battery life is, and I will be glad to assist.

Let's reset reset the SMC to see if that helps:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Additionally, see this resource for some steps that can maximize battery performance as well:

Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Cheers.

Mar 24, 2020 6:01 PM in response to nickeled1

I highly doubt there's anything wrong with your MacBook Pro. 9 times out of 10 an app is open that activated the discrete GPU which drains the battery a great deal and is generally recommended to use the MacBook plugged in when using apps that activate the dGPU. To verify this go to the Apple menu-About this Mac. If you see both the Intel UHD graphics and the AMD 5000 series GPU listed then that's your issue. Many apps don't require the use of this GPU but here's a list of a few apps that will activate it.

Chrome

Apple's Photos app

Pixelmator

Spotify

Final Cut Pro X

Also make sure your screen brightness is no higher than 60% for optimum battery usage.

Serious battery drain on 16 in MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.