Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 Battery Draining while plugged in

Upgraded from a 2018 MacBook Pro 15-inch. Same software, same daily use of zoom for meetings but this new MacBook drains the battery like never before. Can only run for about 5 hours of zoom before it drains from 100% down to 5%. Considering the same usage and this never happened to me before, wondering if the battery specs are less capable or if there is a possible issue that I need to explore.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 10:42 AM

The 15" MBP uses an 87 W adapter, the 13" MBP uses a 61 W adapter, and the MBA uses a 30 W adapter. They'll deliver power, but if your Mac needs more than that it draws from the battery even while on AC (I've seen my 16" MBP draw 125 W of power, as an example). Videoconferencing is pretty processor intensive. On a work 15" MBP, running on battery starting from a full charge I can get 8 hours of email/powerpoint/web but barely over 3 hours of Zoom meetings.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 10:42 AM in response to tYsTik00

The 15" MBP uses an 87 W adapter, the 13" MBP uses a 61 W adapter, and the MBA uses a 30 W adapter. They'll deliver power, but if your Mac needs more than that it draws from the battery even while on AC (I've seen my 16" MBP draw 125 W of power, as an example). Videoconferencing is pretty processor intensive. On a work 15" MBP, running on battery starting from a full charge I can get 8 hours of email/powerpoint/web but barely over 3 hours of Zoom meetings.

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 Battery Draining while plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.