Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't share files via AirDrop

Can't connect via airdrop from iMac to MacBook Air. iMac running High Sierra, Air has Sierra. They sit on the same desk and have bluetooth and wifi on. Both show the other machine in the Bluetooth window but as "Not Connected".

Any ideas?

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 10:38 AM

Ensure all the device meet the minimum system requirement and you are following the directions in:

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Use AirDrop on your Mac

4 replies

Mar 23, 2020 11:09 AM in response to mrpjamma

I also have a 2011 27" iMac which is a great computer but it's way past it's prime. I plan on replacing mine in a few months, this may be something you may also want to consider as our computers shortly will be 3 generations of Mac OS out of date and running pretty old apps. Not to mention the hardware is getting pretty old and could fail with no replacement parts available.

If you do intend to replace it, ensure all of your apps that you want to use or keep on the new computer are upgrading (or replaced) by 64bit apps as Catalina (the current version of Mac OS) will only support 64 bit apps. This means your old legacy apps must be upgraded if you want to continue using them!

Can't share files via AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.