Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new MBP crashes all the time Catalina

I have newish MBP 15,2 from January, 2020, and it crashes more often than all the computers I've ever used added together.

I've been using Etre-Check, but I've not solved it. My first step was to read the Apple support document for machines that restart all the time, and do what I could to follow that advice.

Because it had old 32 bit apps and other incompatibilities, today I backed it up to TimeMachine, booted into Recovery Partition, erased the boot drive, downloaded the latest Catalina, booted, signed in, and then things began to not go well.

I used the Migration Assistant, and the drive with my recent Time Machine backup was the only external device connected. Yet, after completion, the date shown for the last Time Machine backup was not today, but January 17. Also, the name of the machine in System Preferences/Sharing was wrong. It was the name of the former machine. (I corrected it.)

I restored some missing files from Time Machine -- when I went into it I could access and see backups from yesterday and today. Also, I restored some files from a Carbon Copy Cloner backup from a few days ago.

I installed only essential apps from the App Store and online. I noticed while I was doing all this that the machine ran without crashing for much more than 10 minutes, which was about how long it was going between crashes before.

I "exhaustively" ran Etre-Check, fixing everything I could, and restarted. During the restart, it hung, and crashed again.

I have put a lot of time into trying to fix this thing, and if you can help me, I will be grateful. I attach the latest Etre-Check report.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 1:32 AM

It looks like you've got a lot of kernel extensions and 3rd party daemons running that could cause the instability. You might want to do a safe boot to disable all 3rd party extensions and see if the crashing still prevails.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 27, 2020 11:50 AM in response to pxbanim

Thank you for your reply. Before the nuke and pave and reinstall, safe boot did not solve the problem of the crashes, but it turns out that the only time the "regrooved" MBP has crashed was the one time that caused me (perhaps prematurely) to post here. Since then it has been rock steady. The only daemons are ones I've been using for years or are required by my employer. If there were old bad ones, the regrooving has apparently replaced them with ones less bad.

new MBP crashes all the time Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.