Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leonie said her Aperture adjustments were not migrating to Photos. Is this still true?

I have about 20,000 photos in Aperture on my iMac running Mojave. I have had difficulty deciding whether to migrate them to Lightroom or Photos. On Photos I use extensions such as Luminar 4 and Pixelmator to edit. I have spent countless hours editing these Aperture photos. A top priority is to transfer them to an app which preserves these edits as much as possible. It therefore shook me up a bit when Leonie posted last year that her Aperture adjustments were mostly not migrating to Photos. It would be very helpful to hear: 1. If this still holds true? 2. If only some adjustments don't make it (ie brushed, etc) 3. Is there a workaround which helps to transfer the edits? 4. Other comments.

I understand that Aperture adjustments do not transfer to Lightroom Classic but there is some kind of workaround involving transfering previews or another strategy. How practical is this for thousands of photos?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback by Leonie or others on these questions.

Richard

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 6:42 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 28, 2020 5:31 PM in response to rgm3

Richard, the Aperture edits will be migrated to Photos, but not as adjustments that can be individually reverted. Photos is not powerful enough to recreate the Aperture adjustments. What will happen is, that all Aperture edits will be migrated as previews of the edit versions. You have to ensure, that you let Aperture create high resolution previews of your edited versions, before you migrate the library.

I migrated my Aperture Libraries to Photos, when Photos first came out. At that time many of the photos I had edited in Aperture would be looking horrible in Photos. They had many block blocks overlayed, like a salt-and-pepper noise. I had to revert these photos to the original version.

You still cannot edit photos in Photos further, that have been edited in Aperture. You have to revert the photo to the original, before Photos can add further adjustments.

Why not make a test and see for yourself? Create a small test library in Aperture and open it with Photos and check what you will get.

How to prepare the Photo Libraries before upgrading to Catalina - Apple Community

Leonie said her Aperture adjustments were not migrating to Photos. Is this still true?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.