Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost originals on Aperture and exporting

I have managed to get access to my Aperture library on an older Mac but have at some point lost the original files for many of the photos. I am not too fussed about this as the screen resolution is fine.

How would I go about exporting all of the images including the ones without originals?

If I try and export them to Photos it only pulls over about 2k of the 20k photos (I assume the ones with originals).

Is there a way to get it to export the ones with originals and the ones without originals?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Air, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 4:52 AM

So this is what I have done to solve this issue.

It is quite a long process but will:

1. Allow you to access an aperture library on Ventura
  2. Allow you to export files if you have the originals
  3. Allow you to export files if you don't have the originals (which was the bit I was really struggling with)

1. You can download Retroactive from Github to allow you to access Aperture on a Mac https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive and you can then open you old Library to see all your photos
  2. You can export your library to any number of apps if you have all the originals in the app (which isn't the case for me). You can also go to Photos and import an aperture library into it.
  3. As at some point, probably when I was a student and didn't have a big enough HDD, I moved some of the photos out of aperture. I have no idea where these HDD are but I an happy with the mediocre quality of the screen shot for the memory.

I moved all of my photos into projects of about 2k of photos each and then made a new library with each project.

I took the Thumbnails folder and moved it out of the aperture package (right click and select "show package contents on the Aperture library) so that I could access it with the.......

......Duplicate File Finder App https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12.

The reason I need this is that the previews are of much lower quality (10-20kb) than the thumbnails (~500kb) but come in more than one file. You then need to scrub the Thumbnail folder with the duplicate app to make sure you remove all the extra files.

I then opened a new photos library for my Aperture import and imported the scrubbed thumbnail library into it.

I now have a photos library with all the originals and thumbnails from my aperture library.

This takes a long time and will not work for everyone, but I hope it helps someone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2023 4:52 AM in response to Rob Conway

3. Allow you to export files if you don't have the originals (which was the bit I was really struggling with)

1. You can download Retroactive from Github to allow you to access Aperture on a Mac https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive and you can then open you old Library to see all your photos
  2. You can export your library to any number of apps if you have all the originals in the app (which isn't the case for me). You can also go to Photos and import an aperture library into it.
  3. As at some point, probably when I was a student and didn't have a big enough HDD, I moved some of the photos out of aperture. I have no idea where these HDD are but I an happy with the mediocre quality of the screen shot for the memory.

I moved all of my photos into projects of about 2k of photos each and then made a new library with each project.

I took the Thumbnails folder and moved it out of the aperture package (right click and select "show package contents on the Aperture library) so that I could access it with the.......

......Duplicate File Finder App https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/duplicate-file-finder-remover/id1032755628?mt=12.

The reason I need this is that the previews are of much lower quality (10-20kb) than the thumbnails (~500kb) but come in more than one file. You then need to scrub the Thumbnail folder with the duplicate app to make sure you remove all the extra files.

I then opened a new photos library for my Aperture import and imported the scrubbed thumbnail library into it.

I now have a photos library with all the originals and thumbnails from my aperture library.

This takes a long time and will not work for everyone, but I hope it helps someone.

Jan 12, 2023 5:19 AM in response to Rob Conway

It is a little more complicated if you have some originals and want to maintain those particular photos, but you can use the same duplicate app to sort those out as well.

Clearly you can change the way you do this to keep them in a particular order or by projects you already have in Aperture but I just wanted to make sure I had copied them all over.

Lost originals on Aperture and exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.