Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Automatic graphic switching" works wrong in MacBook Pro 16 inch

Hello,

I've bought the new MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019. After 1 month of using i noticed cursor and system micro freezes 1-2 seconds. A lot of topics for this subject suggesting to turn off "automatic graphic switching" to solve this problem and it works. But battery life time without power turned on noticeably decreased.

Question 1: "Is this a hardware or software problem?"

Question 2: "Apple are you going to fix this option so that it work properly in 10.15.4 public release?"

Thank You!

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 11:15 AM

These "microfreezes" seem to be associated with the occasions where your mac switches between the two graphics cards.

With that box unchecked, your mac will use the integrated chip by default, unless a more graphics intensive application demands the discrete one.

Can you ascertain in which circumstances the switch is taking place? Is some particular more graphics demanding application involved? Like, in command-tabbing from, say, Finder, to Final Cut?

FWIW, I also have a MBP with dual graphics (albeit much older). I work at my desk, connected to power, and usually rely on the more powerful discrete GPU.

For the purpose of testing, I turned on automatic graphics switching for a few minutes. Although I did not test for a long time, I did not see any of the mentioned "microfreezes".

It is possible that this is specific to newer models, or it may be circumstancial to your setup.

You may try resetting NVRAM and SMC, to see if it effects a difference.

On question 2: maybe you are unaware of it, but we are not Apple. This is a user forum, and we are all users just like you, volunteering some of our time and experience to try and help others.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2020 11:15 AM in response to dmitriy53

These "microfreezes" seem to be associated with the occasions where your mac switches between the two graphics cards.

With that box unchecked, your mac will use the integrated chip by default, unless a more graphics intensive application demands the discrete one.

Can you ascertain in which circumstances the switch is taking place? Is some particular more graphics demanding application involved? Like, in command-tabbing from, say, Finder, to Final Cut?

FWIW, I also have a MBP with dual graphics (albeit much older). I work at my desk, connected to power, and usually rely on the more powerful discrete GPU.

For the purpose of testing, I turned on automatic graphics switching for a few minutes. Although I did not test for a long time, I did not see any of the mentioned "microfreezes".

It is possible that this is specific to newer models, or it may be circumstancial to your setup.

You may try resetting NVRAM and SMC, to see if it effects a difference.

On question 2: maybe you are unaware of it, but we are not Apple. This is a user forum, and we are all users just like you, volunteering some of our time and experience to try and help others.

"Automatic graphic switching" works wrong in MacBook Pro 16 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.