Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trading in iPhone

Hi!

so I’ve just decided to go and upgrade my iPhone XS Max to the 11 pro max.

I pay for my iPhone on monthly payments through the Barclays 0% finance scheme that Apple offers. I still have over a year left on my iPhone XS Max but I’m trading it in for the new phone to start new monthly payments on that.

will I have to continue paying for the IPhone XS Max too, even if I’m trading it in for the upgrade through Apple?

Jack

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 6:37 AM

Yes, you still own Barclay's the full amount of that zero interest consumer loan. Barcaly financing has nothing to do with the Apple upgrade program, which is financed through Citizens Bank.

Apple's finance plan, via Barclay Bank is a separate program from the Apple iPhone upgrade program, financed via Citizens Bank. In each case you enter into a loan agreement with the Bank, not Apple so you owe the loan back to the issuing bank. If you financed through Apple's partnership with Barclay Bank, then before you can even trade in that phone, you must own it first, which requires you to pay off that loan with Barclay Bank.

One way or another, the bank will always need to be paid back in full for the loan - with the finance deal, that is entirely up to you. On the upgrade program, Apple arranges for the completion and termination of your previous loan (assuming you've made the minimum 11 payments for upgrade eligibility) based on receiving your current iPhone in good working order.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 6:37 AM in response to jred9749

Yes, you still own Barclay's the full amount of that zero interest consumer loan. Barcaly financing has nothing to do with the Apple upgrade program, which is financed through Citizens Bank.

Apple's finance plan, via Barclay Bank is a separate program from the Apple iPhone upgrade program, financed via Citizens Bank. In each case you enter into a loan agreement with the Bank, not Apple so you owe the loan back to the issuing bank. If you financed through Apple's partnership with Barclay Bank, then before you can even trade in that phone, you must own it first, which requires you to pay off that loan with Barclay Bank.

One way or another, the bank will always need to be paid back in full for the loan - with the finance deal, that is entirely up to you. On the upgrade program, Apple arranges for the completion and termination of your previous loan (assuming you've made the minimum 11 payments for upgrade eligibility) based on receiving your current iPhone in good working order.

Mar 25, 2020 4:44 PM in response to deggie

I think in the UK Barclays handles both, but from reading the UK web site, they’d still be independent loans (Apple finance versus finance theought the upgrade program) with their own terms. So since not already enrolled in the upgrade plan, the trade in would be a straight trade in for credit, and you cannot do that with a device you don’t yet own.

Only the terms of the upgrade program loan specifically cover upgrading devices with Apple covering the remainder of the loan with the lender on your behalf. So the issue would still be the specifics of which avenue of finance, with whatever finance partner Apple has agreements with, one first entered into in order to get the loan that paid for their device (since Apple is always paid in full at the time of purchase so your account with Apple is always free and clear when you receive your device), so the legalities and obligations of the loan derive from the lender’s terms.

Trading in iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.