Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPad keep freezing?

I have included a screenshot of my current hardware and software so you can see that I’m using a fraction of the iPads resources. Yet it’s constantly freezing. This frustrating problem has been happening for months now. Please help.

iPad Air, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 24, 2020 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 4:29 AM

As a diagnostic exercise, I suggest that you disable some Siri features:

Settings > Siri & Search >

• Listen for “Hey Siri” - set to OFF
  • Allow Siri When Locked - set to OFF
  • Suggestions in Search - set to OFF

Exit and Force-close the Settings App - then force-restart your iPad. Leave this settings alone for a day of two - but otherwise continue to use your iPad as normal.

To force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2020 4:29 AM in response to Mongrel1999

As a diagnostic exercise, I suggest that you disable some Siri features:

Settings > Siri & Search >

• Listen for “Hey Siri” - set to OFF
  • Allow Siri When Locked - set to OFF
  • Suggestions in Search - set to OFF

Exit and Force-close the Settings App - then force-restart your iPad. Leave this settings alone for a day of two - but otherwise continue to use your iPad as normal.

To force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Mar 26, 2020 3:19 AM in response to Mongrel1999

Can you refine and provide greater detail in your description of the problem? “Freezing” can mean many different things to different people.

Please tell us which Apps are affected (noting that information as to Apps that are not affected is also meaningful). When the problem occurs, what is the actual effect, such as complete pause of the entire iPad (e.g., video or sound stops playing, or keyboard input seems to be ignored) or something else?

The more that you can tell us, the more likely it is that we may be able to provide some help.

Mar 26, 2020 4:18 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your time.

While I am typing the letters etc suddenly they stop being produced for a few seconds and so I have to go back and retype those lost characters.

When I’m dictating suddenly the words stop being produced for a few seconds then suddenly they all come tumbling onto the screen at once.

when I am playing games my fingers have no effect on the screen.

(A few seconds can mean 10 seconds or more.) I’ve never actually timed it.

Why does my iPad keep freezing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.