Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 2 fails to upgrade to watchOS 6.2

Hi, I have an odd situation. I am trying to update my AW2. I have updated iPhone to iOS 13.4 and my AW2 runs the latest previous watchOS. The update downloads but fails to install. The process fails during Verification. I tried rebooting both iPhone X and AW2. I deleted the update and redownloaded it again. No use. It still fails. Does anyone have the same issue?

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 9:06 AM

Try the update from the watch itself,I did this and had no problems whatsoever,just make sure the watch is on the charger and has at least 50% charge and make sure bluetooth and wifi are both turned on.

85 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 9:06 AM in response to vkodryan

Try the update from the watch itself,I did this and had no problems whatsoever,just make sure the watch is on the charger and has at least 50% charge and make sure bluetooth and wifi are both turned on.

Mar 25, 2020 6:31 PM in response to vkodryan

After dealing with not getting past verification I tried the following:

• Restarted both the iPhone X and Watch. No luck
  • Deleted the download from the Watch. Open Watch App on iPhone, Select General and scroll down to Usage. Make sure you are wearing your watch and its unlocked. Delete the Watch Update. Try Again. No luck.
  • Unpaired and restored from a back up. No Luck.
  • Restored and set up as new. No luck, until. After getting the Unable to Verify prompt yet again, I grabbed the Watch off the charger and hit install again on my iPhone. Finally the update verified and as I type it is installing.

For the record I have a Watch Series 1. I have never once had an issue. Now I am stuck setting up my Watch to my typical settings. Still wondering why Tim and Company would issue an update in the middle of this global pandemic.

Apr 2, 2020 11:50 AM in response to andy90e

Thanks andy90e... this worked for me. I had tried everything (restart phone, watch... even un-pair, wipe watch, re-pair, etc.).

In the end, I turned off Bluetooth and WiFi on my phone, then went into the watch and selected update. It took a while for it to download and verify the update but it did install.

FWIW, when I re-connected the phone to the watch via bluetooth it threw an error saying the update didn't work... but it did. I think that was a replica of the phone being confused since it couldn't see the watch and had been trying to update.

Apr 8, 2020 7:12 AM in response to gr8fldude

Make sure your watch is charged and on the charger. Turn off bluetooth and wifi on your PHONE (so that the phone cannot communicate with the watch). Then initiate the update from your watch. It will download, verify, and install the update on its own. Do not turn bluetooth and wifi back on for you phone until the update is actually being installed.

I tried this from the watch with WiFi and Bluetooth enabled on the phone and it does NOT work because the watch defaults to using the phone to download the update (at least in my case) even if you initiate it from the watch. So if you disable communication with the phone then the watch will attempt to download the update itself over WiFi.

Good luck

Apr 14, 2020 8:05 PM in response to vkodryan

I have been dealing with this since the update came out. I have followed every step mentioned in these post. Today I have spent over 2 hours on the phone with apple and this update has consumed a big part of my day. I am most frustrated that both apple representatives told me there were no reports that this was an issue and the second one even encouraged me to look into getting a new watch, which is what I have been trying to avoid. Finally, I do it from my watch as suggested here and my watch is up to date and not longer needs replaced. Clearly I am not the only one with this issue and apple should be figuring this problem out.

Apple Watch 2 fails to upgrade to watchOS 6.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.