Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime from iOS 9 to iOS 13.4

Can not make/receive FaceTime calls from/to older devices since the latest update iOS 13.4.

Can make/receive FaceTime calls from/to older devices to iOS 13.3

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 8:35 AM

28 replies

Mar 26, 2020 9:42 AM in response to pokrmher

Hello pokrmher,

I understand you're not able to make or receive FaceTime calls when the other person has a device running iOS 13.3. Also, this only started happening after you updated to iOS 13.4. I know how important FaceTime can be for staying in touch with friends and family. I'm happy to help you out with what you're experiencing.

For issues making and receiving FaceTime calls you should try out the steps listed in this support article: If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You'll see that one of the steps there is to update the iOS version. This would apply to the people you're trying to use FaceTime with as well, so I recommend having them update their devices to iOS 13.4. Try out the rest of the steps in that support article if you continue to experience the same thing after those people have updated.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Mar 27, 2020 6:49 AM in response to ryane77

Hello

Hey Apple Supporter, nothing works and all your suggestions are wrong. Apple stopped the communication between new and old software versions with newest iOS 13.4 and OS 10.15.4 update. Everything works fine with 10.15.3 and 13.3. Your goal is to sell more newer hardware. My mom has still very good working iPad Air 2 for her needs and she doesn't wont to update her iPad. It would definitely slowdown her gadget. You are worse than Sicily m....

Mar 30, 2020 10:54 AM in response to pokrmher

I am seeing the same issue while trying to call an iPad 2 running the latest iOS 9 version from macOS 10.15.4 and iOS 13.4. Facetime shows as "connecting..." in the iPad 2, while the other end is still ringing. Initiating the call on the iPad 2 is also not working.

All devices are up-to-date, and calls worked before updating to macOS 10.15.4 and iOS 13.4.

Mar 30, 2020 1:54 PM in response to pokrmher

Same Here:

iPad 2 with iOS 9 and iPhone XS with 13.4 & iPad Pro with 13.4

until 13.4, everything was fine.

after the update, FaceTime stopped working.

Couldn't have picked a worse time for this to happen!

Everybody is in quarantine! My Grandparents (in their 80's) can’t see me and I can't (and shouldn't have to anyway) get a more up to date device to them!

Please fix this ASAP!!

Mar 30, 2020 4:30 PM in response to pokrmher

Hi,

I am also facing this issue between several devices running iOS 13.4 and a third-generation iPad. FaceTime calls made in either direction come through, are accepted and then get stuck on 'Connecting' screen.

I have a device still on 13.3.1 which can make and accept calls with the iPad without issues, leading me to assume there is something preventing newer devices on iOS 13.4 from communicating with the older device.

Worst time possible for a FaceTime bug to slip through. Many people with elderly relatives (typically with older devices!) are relying on FaceTime to maintain contact during these unprecedented times. Please investigate and fix!

Many thanks,

Vivek

Mar 31, 2020 1:08 PM in response to vivek_22

Agreed, this is a bad time for this to be introduced. As a workaround (for those that don't want to downgrade their OS) I installed the free Zoom Cloud Meetings app, which works on iOS 8 and greater. Both myself and my mom on her old Gen1 iPad Mini (9.3.5) were able to create free accounts and install the app, add each other as contacts, and start a video chat.

Mar 31, 2020 2:12 PM in response to shineandcriss

Why should we do that? We paid for our phones, Macbooks, iPads and their services very dear and expensive. Nothing was free of charge and they stopped us in the middle of this world pandemic disaster to contact our dearest. It is not easy for an older person to manage their Macbook or iPad or even open a new Zoom account or whatever. The app store is definitely not transparent for us either. You have to watch very carefully what you want to download. 90% of the AppStore apps are only free for a week or two, and then an older person cannot pay them because they cannot manage this complicated payment system on their own. An older person has a problems to pay a ticket or whatever to buy with a plastic card. If you live so far from them, you cannot help them from a distance. Apple doesn't want to help older people. There is no help and there is no application to help them remotely because Apple treat this way as very unsafe. Why can I help remotely over TeamViewer from any Mac or PC to anyone on their computer to solve his problem? Why doesn't work it on an iPad? The device is so expensive and a disaster for old people. Apple just wants to make more profit and become the largest in the world. It is a great shame. The Steve would turn 1000 times in his grave if he knew what had happened to his idea.

My recommendation to everyone. Please never update an Apple system. You get ripped off and your system slows down. You are forced to buy a new device for a few thousand dollars, pounds, euros and francs two years later. Why?

Mar 31, 2020 5:32 PM in response to shineandcriss

I opened an official support ticket with Apple about this. This is the response received from the tech:

We have received reports of this issue and I want to make sure we get this issue resolved as quickly as possible! We’ve reached a point in our troubleshooting process that requires escalating a ticket to our Engineering team for further investigation.

What we're going to do is set up a call from one of our Senior Advisors over the phone to gather some information from you and your device. They'll let you know the next steps from here and provide an estimate on when we'll hear back from our Engineering team.

I can schedule a call at the most convenient time for you.

May I have your phone number, time zone, and best time to call please?

Apr 1, 2020 10:19 AM in response to pokrmher

If you ask me, it’s a disgrace, which I’ve experienced with other companies who want us to replace our old equipment for the latest.

I thought the whole point of software-dependent hardware is that software upgrades sort out bugs, improve features and performance and enable continued compatibility.

While newer hardware probably does introduce new and improved features, the old products should still be able to provide the basic functions for which they were bought.

Another example of why the planet is in the sorry state it is.

FaceTime from iOS 9 to iOS 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.