Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Catalina from Mojave

The ap store says my system is eligible for the upgrade to Catalina, but when i try to upgrade it says it cannot find the file to upgrade. I understand there is some fix to allow it to do the upgrade but do not know what I am supposed to do to make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 10:05 AM

Hello, dino290.

Since you're headed that direction, and for the sake of preparedness, ! Before you upgrade to Catalina, please look at these Apple Support documents. Specifically, check that your Macintosh is on the list of compatible computers and familiarize yourself with the limitations of 32-bit applications and Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Learn about 32-bit app compatibility – Apple Support 

Be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with Catalina and will not run. You must update to Catalina-compatible versions or replace them with alternative applications that meet Catalina’s 64-bit requirement.

This includes older versions of Adobe CC, Microsoft Office apps, some device drivers and applications for printers and scanners and many others. All current Apple software is Catalina-ready, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

This seemingly small detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to Catalina and then find their software is broken. 

To check for 32-bit apps, you can use this free compatibility scanner app https://www.stclairsoft.com/GO64/.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 10:05 AM in response to dino290

Hello, dino290.

Since you're headed that direction, and for the sake of preparedness, ! Before you upgrade to Catalina, please look at these Apple Support documents. Specifically, check that your Macintosh is on the list of compatible computers and familiarize yourself with the limitations of 32-bit applications and Catalina.

How to upgrade to macOS Catalina – Apple Support

Learn about 32-bit app compatibility – Apple Support 

Be aware that any 32-bit apps that you are currently using will be incompatible with Catalina and will not run. You must update to Catalina-compatible versions or replace them with alternative applications that meet Catalina’s 64-bit requirement.

This includes older versions of Adobe CC, Microsoft Office apps, some device drivers and applications for printers and scanners and many others. All current Apple software is Catalina-ready, and updates for some older Apple titles are available for download in the Mac App Store.

This seemingly small detail has tripped up many users who have upgraded to Catalina and then find their software is broken. 

To check for 32-bit apps, you can use this free compatibility scanner app https://www.stclairsoft.com/GO64/.

Mar 25, 2020 9:57 AM in response to dino290

dino290 wrote:

The ap store says my system is eligible for the upgrade to Catalina, but when i try to upgrade it says it cannot find the file to upgrade. I understand there is some fix to allow it to do the upgrade but do not know what I am supposed to do to make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not so clear the mixed message here—

DO you see the upgrade?

Did you try direct download : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314?mt=12&l=en-us

Upgrade to Catalina from Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.