Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use bluetooth mic (AirPods Pro or Powerbeats Pro) with video recording or Facebook Live?

Apple! This is a bug! Fix it! When you record video with the built-in camera app, or when you use Facebook Live, and probably other apps I don't know about, even if you have paired with a bluetooth microphone, the built-in mic is what is used for audio. This is ridiculous. Please fix it!!!

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 1:05 PM

This is the dumbest thing ever!! I spent over $250 on these AirPods pro because I’ve had to transition my entire yoga studio online during COVId. Why wouldn’t u be able to use your camera or ig live or FB live with your AirPods that’s the entire point - I plan to return these immediately unless I am wrong and u can! Please help I’m soooo frustrated!!

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 1:05 PM in response to skaphan

This is the dumbest thing ever!! I spent over $250 on these AirPods pro because I’ve had to transition my entire yoga studio online during COVId. Why wouldn’t u be able to use your camera or ig live or FB live with your AirPods that’s the entire point - I plan to return these immediately unless I am wrong and u can! Please help I’m soooo frustrated!!

Apr 17, 2020 11:24 PM in response to skaphan

Exactly! The camera app doesn’t work either so I can’t even pre-record classes and load them using the AirPods. I spent the entire day on a zoom call with my tech guy - trying to use a third party app through my laptop to be able to do this. It kind of worked but it is a major process every time I want to stream or record. Apple - get it together!!!

Mar 25, 2020 10:51 PM in response to QuickPost

Using a Bluetooth headset such as AirPods Pro or Powerbeats Pro to record audio for a video on iOS using the native Camera app or to capture audio for Facebook video live-streaming does not work. Instead the built-in microphone is used. I checked that the Bluetooth headsets were properly paired immediately before testing. Tested on iPhone 6 and iPhone XR. I note that others have complained about this previously. Also, it works properly with FaceTime.

Apr 17, 2020 1:17 PM in response to Yogamolly

My application was also for a yoga instructor friend transitioning to online. To be fair, I'm not sure if the bug is Apple's or Facebook's, since FaceTime does do the right thing (so Apple, anyway, knows how to make it work right). The Camera app might have the same bug as Facebook does. What I don't understand is why a bug like this can be known about for so long and they STILL haven't done anything about it.

Apr 28, 2020 1:18 AM in response to skaphan

I have the same intention. I think we can still Facebook live using laptop, it will capture from the Airpod. But not from the iphone. At least it helps somehow.

To record in advance, we may need to use 3rd party app, I used Filmic Pro, then they can capture from Airpod. So much effort to figure out ways.

I just hope it just works as we expected.

Hope it helps you somehow.

May 1, 2020 7:29 PM in response to BigAshCigars

Another workaround is to use a wired directional mic like the Røde VideoMicro and maybe a mic screen depending how much ambient noise you have. Also AirPods per se aren't so great for uses where you might be inverted as they will fall out. Powerbeats Pro hook onto the ear and won't fall out. But they are subject to the same bug as any other bluetooth mic or headset.

May 2, 2020 9:18 AM in response to skaphan

The wireless lav I am using is a Rode model with a lot of adapters and a switcher box. I also used one with a USB and I also used my PC computer to receive the USB and cables to my IPhone 8 through more cables and adapters.

trial and error that we should not have to do if Apple can get off their back side and find a patch in their program’s.

good luck

May 2, 2020 4:26 PM in response to skaphan

I’m going to take a punt and say it’s something to do with audio video sync. It’s such an obvious issue, there must be a reason Apple haven’t fixed it.

if the Bluetooth audio lags (which it will) it will mean the audio and video are out of sync on your recording. It doesn’t really matter on FaceTime, but would be really obvious if you’re recording HD video

May 2, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Benmling

If this were the case, they could buffer enough video to compensate for the delay, unless they don't know what the delay is, in which case some calibration step could be provided for those who care that much. But I don't think it matters more for Facebook Live than it does for FaceTime. What's good enough for FaceTime should be good enough for that...though in that case it might be Facebook's bug.

May 2, 2020 8:52 PM in response to BigAshCigars

But FaceTime, another Apple product, does the right thing -- if you have a bluetooth mic paired, it will use that. So somehow Apple's Camera app and Facebook have a similar bug, whether they meant to do it or not (due to the potential delay issue). But it is possible, as FaceTime demonstrates, for it to work the way we would expect.

Incidentally, Apple could characterize all the popular bluetooth mics and have a built-in delay factor for each type, so there wouldn't have to be a calibration step to sync in most cases.

May 17, 2020 11:46 AM in response to skaphan

Yeah, same problem. During the COVID with our running club we start going live on Facebook. Firs simply using iPhone without external mic or stabilization. Later we decided to invest some money for the better quality, when it comes to choosing mic it was seems obvious to buy an AirPods. We was disappointed as much we was excited before.

So here we got many people with the same issue, and it's seems vital specially giving the circumstances, can we at least get an answer from some Apple employees? Even it will be NO it's better to know.

Jun 26, 2020 12:22 PM in response to skaphan

I second this! I am also a yoga teacher and needed to transition to all online. Why Apple? Why did you make it so this product is incompatible with the rest of your products! Apple needs to fix this ASAP. Makes no sense why the microphone will work during phone calls but not in iPhones video app. Is it so we are forced to pay for another app, or to start protesting against Apple? Fix it!

Can't use bluetooth mic (AirPods Pro or Powerbeats Pro) with video recording or Facebook Live?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.