Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple issues with 16" MBP

Hi All,

In November 2019 I upgraded from my 2012 MBP (running Catalina) to a 16" MBP (6-core version) and since day one have consistently been having the following issues:

• The password screen often doesn't capture every keystroke, I have to type my password one char at a time to make sure it actually registers. Sometimes enter doesn't even register, and I am left with a "Having trouble entering your password? Try restarting" message.
  • Every now and then (maybe once a week) it will just restart. No clear pattern (ie sometimes low cpu/ram, sometimes high, sometimes it's in sleep mode but when I come back I found it had reset)
  • Sometimes, it will just turn itself off (both on battery mode and Adapter mode), and then come back on with the "empty battery" logo for 10 minutes before restarting. This is NOT after I run out, it's literally plugged in, on 100% and then just turns off and says the battery is empty.
  • About 50% of the time, after being in sleep mode, upon waking all of my displays are in super high contrast mode, and I have to open the display preferences and just click a different colour profile then click back to the normal one. This happens when external displays are connected and when they are not, and happens with both my Kogan monitors at home, and my Philips monitors at work.
  • I have a mechanical keyboard connected via a USB Hub, and every so often (3-5 times a day), it just completely disconnects. It's still plugged in, the LEDs are still active (although the colour pattern has changed from what I set it as), but the keyboard is completely unresponsive, I have to unplug and plug it back in and then it works again. It almost feels like the keyboard has received some sort of signal to change modes. When this happens I also can't use the built-in function keys on the keyboard to control the LEDs/profile, it just... completely stops working. This issue does not happen with any other computer (including if I use the usb-hub as thought that might be causing issues).

I went to an Apple Store a few weeks back but they said because I bought it elsewhere I should take it back to that store and they can send it on to apple for repair. I don't have the receipt so the store I bought it from (yes, an authorised reseller) said to take it directly to apple and they can look up the purchase information.

Has anyone encountered similar issues since buying the new 16" I feel like it must be related to the hardware as I never had any issues at all on my 2012 running the same OS, and almost in some respects regret "upgrading".

Does anyone have any suggestions as well now that all the apple stores are closed for the next few months?

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 5:25 PM

JamesBlack91 wrote:

16" MBP (6-core version) and since day one have consistently been having the following issues

I went to an Apple Store a few weeks back but they said because I bought it elsewhere I should take it back to that store and they can send it on to apple for repair.
I don't have the receipt so the store I bought it from (yes, an authorised reseller) said to take it directly to apple and they can look up the purchase information.

I would take it back as suggested and have them tell you what is wrong.

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or

https://getsupport.apple.com/

on-line check your products: https://support.apple.com/my-support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2020 5:25 PM in response to JamesBlack91

JamesBlack91 wrote:

16" MBP (6-core version) and since day one have consistently been having the following issues

I went to an Apple Store a few weeks back but they said because I bought it elsewhere I should take it back to that store and they can send it on to apple for repair.
I don't have the receipt so the store I bought it from (yes, an authorised reseller) said to take it directly to apple and they can look up the purchase information.

I would take it back as suggested and have them tell you what is wrong.

Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or

https://getsupport.apple.com/

on-line check your products: https://support.apple.com/my-support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE.

multiple issues with 16" MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.