Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Keyboard/Trackpad Not Working

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro where the trackpad and keyboard do not work. Sometimes (probably once every 4 or 5 times I open my laptop) either or both do not work, and typically, shutting down my computer will resolve the issue completely upon restart. Today, the same issue happened, but the reboot did not immediately fix the problem--it was only after shutting it down and leaving it shut down for a few minutes that the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue last summer in which the trackpad and keyboard did not work, but that time, shutting down the computer did not resolve the issue. I ended up replacing the trackpad/flex cable myself, and the computer has worked fine until now. Because the keyboard/trackpad work perfectly fine most of the time, I would hypothesize that it is a software, not hardware, issue, but I may be wrong.

Any thoughts on what the problem is and how I can resolve it? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2022 9:20 AM

slyon2000 wrote:

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my 13" 2015 MacBook Pro where the trackpad and keyboard do not work. Sometimes (probably once every 4 or 5 times I open my laptop) either or both do not work, and typically, shutting down my computer will resolve the issue completely upon restart. Today, the same issue happened, but the reboot did not immediately fix the problem--it was only after shutting it down and leaving it shut down for a few minutes that the issue was resolved.

I had a similar issue last summer in which the trackpad and keyboard did not work, but that time, shutting down the computer did not resolve the issue. I ended up replacing the trackpad/flex cable myself, and the computer has worked fine until now. Because the keyboard/trackpad work perfectly fine most of the time, I would hypothesize that it is a software, not hardware, issue, but I may be wrong.

Sound like an issue with the Trackpad/keyboard cable connection—this was a known issue in some 2015 MBP'S

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2022 9:20 AM in response to slyon2000

slyon2000 wrote:

Hi,

Sound like an issue with the Trackpad/keyboard cable connection—this was a known issue in some 2015 MBP'S

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2022 7:09 PM in response to cherie4000

cherie4000 wrote:

Same happening to me is there an apple issue? Also gets this after booting up.

You have a different issue in that screenshot, so please start your own thread so contributors can assist you. You should provide specific details such a exact model, version of macOS, and a bit of history. Running EtreCheck with "Full Disk Access" and posting the report in your own thread will help contributors assist you with the unexpected shutdowns. Review this article when creating your own thread so you provide enough details:

Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple Community

MacBook Pro Keyboard/Trackpad Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.