Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR won't show up in Mojave Finder or iTunes.

I own an iPhone XR (iOS 13.4) and an iMac 21.5" (macOS 10.14.6) I tried to sync my iPhone with my iMac but it won't show up in iTunes or Finder. Most of the posts I've seen say to update to macOS Catalina but I have Pro Tools | First and it hasn't been updated to work with Catalina yet. Does anybody have a different solution?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 6:30 PM

It's fixed!

Today I again rebooted my iMac, and when iTunes came up - I figured I'd try to plug in my iPhone to once again see if it'd show up. Lo and behold, I instantly get a prompt from iTunes that "An Update is required to use your iPhone 11 Pro". I'd seen this once before when I originally bought my iPhone Pro, and had installed the required update then. So maybe that 'compatibility' software needed another update to be able to work with my iPhone with iOS 13.4 under Mojave iTunes?

So I let it quit iTunes and install this update, and when I relaunched iTunes after - my iPhone was again visible/accessible. Yay!

Hope this is helpful to anyone else having a problem with iOS 13.4 under Mojave macOS.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 6:30 PM in response to visionaut

It's fixed!

Today I again rebooted my iMac, and when iTunes came up - I figured I'd try to plug in my iPhone to once again see if it'd show up. Lo and behold, I instantly get a prompt from iTunes that "An Update is required to use your iPhone 11 Pro". I'd seen this once before when I originally bought my iPhone Pro, and had installed the required update then. So maybe that 'compatibility' software needed another update to be able to work with my iPhone with iOS 13.4 under Mojave iTunes?

So I let it quit iTunes and install this update, and when I relaunched iTunes after - my iPhone was again visible/accessible. Yay!

Hope this is helpful to anyone else having a problem with iOS 13.4 under Mojave macOS.

Mar 26, 2020 7:32 PM in response to jt178

Arrgh!!! I just updated my iPhone 11 Pro to the new iOS 13.4. Now it's not seen by iTunes to be able to sync! Restarting both my phone, iTunes, and iMac - nothing makes the iPhone appear in iTunes now. This is BAD.

I usually update my phones from my Mac, but this time I thought - why not just do it on the phone, and I'll sync to my iMac later. (I had run an backup and sync with my iPhone on my iMac running Mojave just yesterday...)

I can still sync Photos between the iPhone and my iMac, so the iPhone is connecting. And System Information shows my iPhone connected under USB. If Apple was going to break iTunes Syncing with Mojave they should have stated so IN BIG RED WARNING LETTERS! Else they should have pushed out a pre-requisite iTunes update for Mojave BEFORE letting me apply the 13.4 update. This is REALLY BAD.

I sure hope a 13.4.1 is coming quickly to fix this disaster. No I can't sync or backup my iPhone!!!!

Tom

Now I'm dead in the water. I don't use iCloud for backups (and won't).

Mar 28, 2020 2:24 PM in response to visionaut

I've tried a number of different things - and my iPhone 11 Pro with the new iOS 13.4 installed STILL never shows up in iTunes (12.9.5.5) under Mojave (10.14.6) on my late 2015 Retina 27" iMac.

On this iMac, iTunes can still see my iPhone 6, running latest iOS 12.x - and can backup and sync it fine.

Photos & Image Capture can see and work with it just fine.

My Phoneview app sees it and works just fine.

It's just iTunes that can't see my iPhone now - which means I can't back-up or sync my phone. I'm willing to go back to iOS 13.3.1 - but my last backup resides on my iMac that I did the day before I updated to 13.4. But if iTunes can't see my iPhone now, how can I do a restore to my prior version? PLEASE provide a patch for Mojave iTunes, or ship iOS 13.4.1 with a fix - ASAP PLEASE. Something under the hood has obviously changed in iOS 13.4 to cause this.

Tom (again)

iPhone XR won't show up in Mojave Finder or iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.