Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t Apple TV auto play episodes?

One of the fundamentals to binge watching is the ability to move seamlessly from one episode to the next without struggling to find the remote, select the next episode, and agree with the Apple TV device that I do, indeed, wish to watch the next episode in the series of episodes I just paid a remarkable amount of money for.

I understand brand loyalty, but has anyone at Apple ever tried Netflix? Or even Hulu? They have this model down pretty well. So why, when I seach “Apple discussions” for “can Apple TV auto play my tv episode purchases?” do I find a sad litany of confusing and unresolved answers dating back to 2011? And still, today, I ask... can Apple TV auto play the episodes of tv series I purchase from it? I would really enjoy it if that were possible. Thank you for your help.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 1:57 PM

Remember most content played on a Apple TV does not come from Apple so if you are referring to content from Netflix, Disney, Amazon etc please contact those providers. However if you are referring to Apple TV+ content then by all means submit your feedback to Apple at www.apple.com/feedback.

4 replies

Mar 26, 2020 11:39 PM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thank you for your prompt response.

Yes, I’ve noticed and been rather mystified by the purpose of the “up next” feature. Presumably an algorithm wants to suggest something it deems potentially enjoyable from a completely different program. I guess this is to expand the user’s interests. But the real effect is the user has to intercept the auto function if they wish to see the next episode in the series they WANT to play in the first place. Just like on every other service.

There are literally hundreds of “me too’s” that chimed in on every half baked failure to answer the simple question that boils down to; “why can’t I auto play the series I paid a lot of money for on Apple TV, when it seems to be such a simple and easy feature on nearly every other comparable system?” Although I admit inquiries have been more polite before mine.

As you suggest, I will bring it to the attention of the feedback department. Perhaps they haven’t yet been told by the throngs of unhappy customers who have been begging this question since (by my reckoning) at least 2010. Do you think that likely? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Your thoughts are sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 26, 2020 11:51 PM in response to rkaufmann87

In this instance, I am referring to the full series of the popular television show “The Office”. Which I once watched on Netflix, but now own on Apple TV. Auto play was never the slightest problem on Netflix. On Apple TV it appears Apple has been trying to discover fire since 2010!

i am sorry if I wasn’t clear. I think what I’m talking about is so basic I made it sound complicated. Edited for clarity.

Can’t Apple TV auto play episodes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.