Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave update 2020-002 - reboot on sleep

I am using a 2018 Mac Mini running 10.14.6 with security update 2020-002. 32GB RAM.

Ever since the update, when I put my Mac to sleep - or if it goes to sleep on its own - the machine shuts down after it has gone to sleep, then reboots.

I have done the prescribed resetting of the SMC; I have reset my ethernet adapter (which is my primary network connection), etc. I have not been able to get the machine to successfully sleep.

I should add: when I run

log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 1h

I get:

Timestamp                      Thread    Type       Activity            PID   TTL 

2020-03-26 13:48:37.482116-0400 0xc3      Default    0x0                 0     0   kernel: (AppleSMC) Previous shutdown cause: -20

I have also tried reinstalling 2020-002, and I did an Internet recovery to an earlier state. No change. Then I reinstalled 2020-002 once more. No change. Is it possible that my Mac's firmware got corrupted during the update? (This update behaved in such a way that made me feel like there *might* have been a firmware update, even though it wasn't specifically called out or documented anywhere.)

I have not seen this behavior reported since the update came out. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Drew

Posted on Mar 26, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 6:46 AM

The suggestion to prevent sleep was intended more as a potential work around for anyone else reading this thread who might be experiencing the same problem. I agree with your original assessment that this appears to be firmware related (BridgeOS). You could try reviving the firmware if you believe that the issue is related to a corruption during update but I personally think we're both out of luck until Apple chooses to address this in a future update.

Similar questions

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 6:46 AM in response to Drew Saur

The suggestion to prevent sleep was intended more as a potential work around for anyone else reading this thread who might be experiencing the same problem. I agree with your original assessment that this appears to be firmware related (BridgeOS). You could try reviving the firmware if you believe that the issue is related to a corruption during update but I personally think we're both out of luck until Apple chooses to address this in a future update.

Mar 26, 2020 11:53 PM in response to Drew Saur

I have had the same problem with similar equipment, Drew - it's been a bother for months!

As a work-around, I keep Opera open on two pages - which stops the reboot happening - all I need do after the unit comes out of sleep is acknowledge that Opera stopped the rebooting.

I find it really, really, annoying that this problem has not been fixed - I see others have had it over the years, Drew.

Ron

Mar 29, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Drew Saur

I'm running a similar configuration to you and am experiencing the same thing. In addition to crashing when put the machine to sleep it also reports a kernel panic when I perform a shutdown and restart. The crash report seems to indicate that this could be an issue with BridgeOS.

As you indicated, not sure reinstalling MacOS will resolve this as this seems to be related to firmware. Might just have to wait until Apple addresses this... hopefully in a supplemental update.

Also, as an alternative to using Parallels or Opera to prevent sleep you can just use caffeinate from the terminal.

Apr 6, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Paul Crivellari

It seems the new Safari 13.1 triggers those crashes:

Reboot, login, open & close the current Safari 13.1 in 10.14.6. Then put the Mac mini 2018 to sleep. It crashes and reboots after about 2 minutes.

If I don't open Safari, the Mac sleeps OK. Also a cold boot does not issue a crash report then. If I have used Safari and shutdown, then after a cold boot there is a crash report.

I could repeat that many times on many user accounts and also on an external disk.

Apr 6, 2020 12:44 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Maybe my Catalina-induced (10.15.4 update) recent firmware update to Boot ROM Version: 1037.100.359.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.14263.0.0,0) is the culprit after all:

I re-tested on a cleanly installed Mojave 10.14.6 with Safari 12.1.2 (without the recent Security Update 2020-002 Mojave or Safari 13.0.5 & 13.1 updates). Also then just using Safari 12.1.2 and then putting the Mac mini to sleep caused a crash (maybe also some other activity besides using Safari can trigger the crash?).

Apr 6, 2020 4:48 PM in response to Drew Saur

Please post the results, Drew, if Apple works on your computer.

The closest Apple operated service centre is 2 hours away from me, not terribly convenient.

An update on my situation, since updating to Catalina, Opera doesn't always stop the reboot in sleep, whereas it always did in the earlier OS.

Another thing I find frustrating with Catalina - just as I am typing in my login password, both monitors go black for a while. After they come back all works normally until the next reboot, whenever that comes along in sleep mode.

Ron

Apr 30, 2020 5:19 AM in response to Drew Saur

I have the same problem so we're all in the same boat here but to prevent misinformation being spread I gotta chime in here for a second. Unlike what many on here seem to think: it is not triggered by Safari. I have not been using Safari for one week and the crash is still happening. I've also been running the Mac Mini with Mojave 10.14.6 on it without installing security update 0.2 and the problem is still there. I've even done a DFU mode restore on the Mac Mini and now my T2 chip has the very latest firmware: ''17P4281'' and the problem keeps persisting.

May 19, 2020 6:01 PM in response to Drew Saur

Updating to Catalina on my machine made the problem more prevalent, and in addition, added a blanking of both screens about 10 seconds after waking up. Still, most of the time Opera will keep the machine from rebooting.

I did spend a long time on the phone with an Apple tech - up until he advised the next step was to re-install the OS. I am leery of doing so - even though I have backups of my machine. I cannot stand the thought of any down time, now that I don't have a laptop, and this Mac Mini is my only computer other than phones and iPads.

May 19, 2020 6:07 PM in response to ronfromnoosaville

I 100% understand. If I wanted to keep Mojave, that was what Apple recommended to me as well, and I decided that it was worth the shot. He informed me that if the problem persisted, they would walk me through wiping the machine and putting the core hard drive structure back so that I could restore Mojave from Time Machine once more. Doing that is still a heck of a lot easier than wiping and installing a hundred pieces of software and reconfiguring preferences, etc. So I took the plunge knowing that I had a not-as-bad plan B.

But so far, so good. What Catalina update did you do for your initial upgrade? I went straight to 10.15.4. That might be why I was lucky. Not sure.

May 19, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Drew Saur

I am also on 10.15.4, Drew - I don't recall if I've done one update since going to Catalina, or not. It's not on auto-update.

The tech on the phone said re-installing the OS only did that, everything else stayed the same. I have an older Mac Mini here, I may try it on that first..... just to reassure myself. I'm a tech myself, perhaps that's why I'm leery. <g>

Thanks for your inputs!

Ron in Noosa

May 19, 2020 10:18 PM in response to ronfromnoosaville

Re-installing Mojave does not help. The sleep problem is there even before applying the latest Mojave security update (or Safari 13.05 or 13.1 update) that triggered this problem via AFAIK its FW update. It is depressing the Apple support does not know that (I have sent them error reports about this over a month ago but obviously that info is not spread out to regular support staff).

Mojave update 2020-002 - reboot on sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.