Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restored OS 10.13 but Canon MG3100 won't connect via wifi

This is a continuation of a branch from page 4 of this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251183795

I have 3 computers on my network:

Old iMac (mid 2010) running 10.8.5 as its max upgrade

MacAir (mid 2011) running 10.9.5 as its max upgrade

MacMini (late 2012) running High Sierra, had problems, tried upgrading to Catalina, new problems, reverted to 10.13 via Restore from TM backup

After the restore, TM has worked well, photos retrieved, old emails retrieved, but old Canon printer MG3100 only works via cable connection (to any of the 3) -- no wifi connection at all. "Printer not found" or "Not connected". Network is fiber optic with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme base stations.

Suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 1:16 AM

By cable means what??? USB cable or ethernet cable???

So ways to fix this.

#1 you need to find the IP of the printer on the network.. I recommend you print out the page that shows all the printer settings.. and from there find the actual IP address.

Network is fiber optic with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme base stations.

Which of the units is the wifi of the printer connected to.. if none then it won't work and you have the wireless in the printer set wrongly to adhoc mode instead of infrastructure mode.

Please give me screenshots from the airport utility of the setup of both the TC and the AE.. showing me the summary page of both and the printer if connected.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2020 1:16 AM in response to martindo123

By cable means what??? USB cable or ethernet cable???

So ways to fix this.

#1 you need to find the IP of the printer on the network.. I recommend you print out the page that shows all the printer settings.. and from there find the actual IP address.

Network is fiber optic with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme base stations.

Which of the units is the wifi of the printer connected to.. if none then it won't work and you have the wireless in the printer set wrongly to adhoc mode instead of infrastructure mode.

Please give me screenshots from the airport utility of the setup of both the TC and the AE.. showing me the summary page of both and the printer if connected.

Mar 27, 2020 6:16 AM in response to martindo123

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Sys Prefs>Network>highlight the Interface you're using>Advanced>TCP/IP>Configure IPv4: Using DHCP.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Mar 27, 2020 1:35 AM in response to martindo123

martindo123 Said:

Restored OS 10.13 but Canon MG3100 won't connect via wifi:[...] Suggestions?

———-

A Few Troubleshooting Thoughts:

• Enable WiFi on the Printer, Itself. Be certain it is connected to correct SSID (5GHz or 2.4GHz).

• Uninstall then Reinstall the Printer Drivers. Perhaps remove the printer using System Preferences, first. Then restart the Mac.

• Reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be rid of. it’s just all misplaced files would placed back to where they should be, and corrupt or missing macOS file would be reinstalled.

• Contact the Manufacturer: Canon. See if they have any feedback.

Mar 30, 2020 6:13 PM in response to BDAqua

@BDAqua: I did everything but I could not click the WiFi icon with the 3 concentric arcs:

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the

WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network.

There was no "join other network" only another + which didn't seem helpful.

Still will not print if I pull the USB cable. Here are screen shots:

And this is what the printer told me:

Mar 30, 2020 7:14 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, the blue version at top with the usual concentric arcs to designate a wave being transmitted.

I'm now wondering how the printer knows there's a new network. As LaPastenague wrote:

How do I find the printer settings?

I should mention that this printer (newest driver dated 2017) came with instructions to set it up first via USB cable, and then initiate the wifi connection. IIRC that was a DVD install and I no longer have any computer with a workable DVD. But the driver is still in the Applications folder on each machine.

Restored OS 10.13 but Canon MG3100 won't connect via wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.