Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup fail on Catalina

I have been using Time Machine to back up my files for ages but since updating to Catalina I keep getting the error message 'Backup Failed There isn't enough space on ...'

There is enough space on my disk as far as I can tell but after reading countless articles online, I still can't seem to find a simple solution. Is someone able to help me please? Thank you

iMac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 1:42 AM

goto System Preferences > Time Machine > Options

and show what you have there.

It will show the Estimated size of full backup

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 28, 2020 1:10 AM in response to db24401

Why should this be consider to help solve the issue?

Since Upgrade to 10.15.3 I am not able anymore to complete TimeMachine backup.

The issue persists with last update 10.15.4.

It starts the download of 1.32 TB on a 2TB LaCie disk and after 1GB written and 6-7 hours it keeps running without transferring any new bit. The LaCie disk is still visible and shouwing enough free space to complete but nothing happens in 4-5 hours of activity.

The same happened with a LaCie 6TB which by the way after trying and retrying was even definitely damaged.

Is there an underground fight against LaCie disks? I read plenty of similar issues claimed by other mac users...

Please fix that ASAP or I certainly will not continue to spend one more penny on beautiful things lacking in rapid response.

Apr 29, 2020 6:21 AM in response to dialabrain

I suspect that the backup process is constantly comparing the initial size of the backup (1.3 TB) with the space remaining available on the target disk, during the transfer of files and then finally after a while when some amount of files has been transferred so that the space available in the target disk is lower than the initial (total) size of the current backup, the process enters an infinite loop without any error/alert/message, waiting for more space which is not necessary and will never be available...

Time Machine Backup fail on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.