Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app in final cut pro

I've seen this question a few times, but cannot see the resolution - grateful for help. I cannot see the photos app content in final cut pro. I can see it in iMovie so presumably the 'system photo library' is correctly set it's greyed-out in the photos preferences. I do not use iCloud for storage of photos just an external hard drive - holding about 560 GB of photos and videos. I can see the iTunes content in the music and photos pane...just not the photos. I recently upgraded everything to Catalina - but this issue existed before I made the update to the OS System.

Any clues how I can get it back - it used to be there a couple of months ago? I thought perhaps it just needed time to build the library back up after closing down both photos and final cut pro - and also restarting a number of times - but having left it for 2 days - no photos appeared in the photos and audio side-bar pane.

Many thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 2:30 AM

Sorry, I should have noticed this from the beginning.

Go to System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Privacy

and make sure that FCP X has "Full Disk Access".

Also, while in there, click "Photos" and make sure that Final Cut Pro is checked.

8 replies

Mar 27, 2020 2:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis,

I'm afraid no change - only GarageBand, Music and Sound Effects seen in the photos and audio side-bar screen, still no Photos App. I can't even import them manually as the import function doesn't allow me to select the photo's library as a location from which to import media.

It just seems that final cut pro doesn't know where to look for the photos app library - any clues as to how I might check that final cut pro knows where to look? As i say the system Photo Library is correct in the photo's app preferences.

Many thanks,

Mar 27, 2020 2:18 AM in response to Gman289

Are you sure that the photos are stored locally and not in the cloud?

Well, perhaps we can give it a little nudge.

Try switching the System Photo Library to something else and then back.

Start Photos holding down the Option key, and create a new library in your internal drive.

Add a photo or two, and set that as system photo library.

See if it shows in FCP X.

Then switch back to your normal library, and see it works.

Mar 27, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your efforts - however no change - which is weird. I set up a new library and added just 3 photos and checked the system photo library to the new temporary location - on the internal drive. Closed everything down and started photos and saw it contained just the 3 photos, started final cut pro....but still no photos.

It does appear very strange. I'm sure it's a simple setting somewhere, but do not know what/where it is.

I'm pretty sure I'm not using iCloud as I only have the standard 5GB storage space and the photos library is about 100 times bigger than that - which why I'm certain the photos app is linked to the correct external hard drive library location.

Photos app in final cut pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.