Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legacy system extension

Legacy system extension load a software that will not be compatible with a future version and the pop says" I need to contact the developer for support" What do need to do since I don't know how to get in touch with the developer?

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 9:12 AM

OK. That’s different. This is a really old kernel extension from before Apple required digital signatures.

There are a few ways to find out what extension this is. The easiest option is to go to the Apple menu and choose “About this Mac”. Then click on the “System Report...” button. In the left-hand column, scroll down to the “software” section. Look under “Legacy Software”. Copy and paste that content here, or a screenshot.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 9:12 AM in response to innoblest

OK. That’s different. This is a really old kernel extension from before Apple required digital signatures.

There are a few ways to find out what extension this is. The easiest option is to go to the Apple menu and choose “About this Mac”. Then click on the “System Report...” button. In the left-hand column, scroll down to the “software” section. Look under “Legacy Software”. Copy and paste that content here, or a screenshot.

Mar 28, 2020 8:04 PM in response to innoblest

The dialog gives you the name of the developer. You can Google that to find the web site for the company. Then you can contact them and see if there is an update available.

Otherwise, you will need to review this software and decide how badly you need it. You may need to use the software while it is still running to export your data. You can also look for an alternative. If you update to macOS 10.16, this software probably won't work. What will that mean to you?

Mar 30, 2020 6:00 AM in response to innoblest

Bummer. At the risk of attracting some internet harassment, I have another possible solution.

I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what software is installed. Download EtreCheck from https://www.etrecheck.com and run it. Create a new reply and use the "Notes" tool below to add your EtreCheck report. Using the link above, you can download EtreCheck from the Mac App Store or download EtreCheckPro directly.

Disclaimer: EtreCheck is my own app. EtreCheck is free to use but has in-app purchases available. Downloading EtreCheck or using it could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Legacy system extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.