Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command Z undo problems

Hello, I am having a strange problem with Mojave latest OSX and my OS apps when using to undo or redo in my applications. Some work some do not with Command Z. On my Mac Pro keyboard only the right side command key works with the key Z on the left, that’s with Logic X or Word and several other applications. The command key will not work from the left of the keyboard. However Photoshop Adobe apps work and the command left key works with other keys. I have setup the computer keyboard in the OSX and set modifier keys and country. I have trashed Prefs in applications like Logic? Rest PRAM all to no avail.....I booted from another drive with High Sierra same thing? All was well a few days ago. Any thoughts other than a Apple retuning bug. Thanks DonH

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 6:37 AM

Does this occur for a different user, e.g., Guest? How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Does this occur after starting up in Safe Mode?

Consider the possibility of a third party software conflict.  EtreCheck can be used to investigate what is installed.

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 28, 2020 8:21 AM in response to sg335

sg335 Said:

"Command Z undo problems"

-------

Note: Redoing is, usually, [command + y]. So try that. Or try: [shift + command + y] to redo.

Reset the SMC:

Some applications work with these specifications, where as some don't. But, to fix this to how it is intended, reset the NVRAM. Many times, changes are made on your Mac, and then setting s (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So reset it. See if that fixes this.

Try this: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

To Do So:

1. Shut Down: the computer
  2. Press and Hold: [Command + Option + P + R]
  3. Power On: the computer
  4. Hold Down: these keys until the computer restarts for the second time
  5. Release: the keys

Mar 28, 2020 3:58 PM in response to sg335

sg335 Said:

"Command Z undo problems: [...]Its probably a fresh install of Mojave on my 2010 Mac Pro. Unfortunately it’s a very last resort unless I lose the right keyboard command key as well. Again many thanks DonH

———-

You are welcome.

I Agree —> Reinstall the MacOS:

Reinstalling the macOS seems to be the ultimate fix. Sometimes, settings become manipulated(i.e. for the keyboard) and you need to reset them.

By reinstalling the macOS, nothing would be lost. It's just that every misplaced and missing files would be reinstalled, and relocated, respectively, to where they should be.

So,...

First: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then, once backed up reinstall either via:

• Boot With: [Command + R], and choose to reinstall the macOS.

Mar 28, 2020 7:25 AM in response to sg335

sg335 wrote:

Hello, I am having a strange problem with Mojave latest OSX and my OS apps when using to undo or redo in my applications. Some work some do not with Command Z. On my Mac Pro keyboard only the right side command key works with the key Z on the left, that’s with Logic X or Word and several other applications. The command key will not work from the left of the keyboard. However Photoshop Adobe apps work and the command left key works with other keys.

I have setup the computer keyboard in the OSX and set modifier keys and country.

I have trashed Prefs in applications like Logic? Rest PRAM all to no avail.....

I booted from another drive with High Sierra same thing?

All was well a few days ago. Any thoughts other than a Apple retuning bug.

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this

or

what exact macOS you are currently running?

" I have setup the computer keyboard in the OSX and set modifier keys and country."

Have you tried going back to the default as a test of functionality?

" Any thoughts other than a Apple retuning bug. " ?

Run the test as suggested bt CT above—

If no luck sorting your issue see if you qualify: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Mar 29, 2020 7:49 AM in response to sg335

Seeing " I still have the right side command key so can function. Its probably a fresh install of Mojave on my 2010 Mac Pro[...]the left command key works in other applications like Adobe Photoshop.", here are a few thoughts.

Compatibility Issue: You cannot install Mojave on a 2010 MacBook Pro -- So, if this is a used Mac, then its probably a hacked Mac --- Use another Mac. But, if you placed the incorrect Model Number, then use an external keyboard for the moment, continuing with what you have yet to complete. Elsewise, I'd say it's probably just built into the app.

Mar 28, 2020 8:46 AM in response to TheLittles

Many thanks for your time and help. I have done all you said and more. Its a mystery? Something has changed or altered the function of that key command? But what? I still have the right side command key so can function. Its probably a fresh install of Mojave on my 2010 Mac Pro. Unfortunately it’s a very last resort unless I lose the right keyboard command key as well. Again many thanks DonH

Mar 29, 2020 5:17 AM in response to TheLittles

Again thanks for your Help and Time. Well I reinstalled Mojave latest installer over the top of my data. To my disappointment nothing has changed. I can only think it’s the computer keyboard, hum yet the left command key works in other applications like Adobe Photoshop. I can only get another keyboard and see.....

Command Z undo problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.