Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rode Go and MacBook Pro - how to connect?

Hi. I have a MacBook Pro 2019 and I am trying to work out if I can connect an external wireless microphone. I understand I need a TRRS connector to the headphone port which is a splitter? Is this correct, has anyone done this? I have a Rode Go wireless.

I have set this up fine with my iPhone but I want to use my MacBook to run classes via live streaming and want to use my mic or it picks up the echo in the room. My phone is too small for me to able to see 10+ clients in my class hence why I want to use my Macbook.

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 4:00 PM

I have the Rode Wireless Go (plus the Rode Lav Go), and I like it, but I had a lot of trouble connecting it to my Macbook via the headset jack. I tried a lot of internet-suggested tricks but none of them worked. What I finally figured out is that the Macbook does not recognize the Rode Wireless Go as a microphone! Oddly enough, that was the key to getting it to work.

How to understand what your Macbook is doing:

The Macbook tries to make things "just work". You can plug in headphones or a headset, and it will just work. Headphones do not have a mic, but headsets do have mics. If you plug in headphones (no mic), the Macbook should obviously route the sound output to the headphones instead of the internal speakers, but still keep using the internal microphone for input. But if you plug in a headset (with a mic), then it should route the sound output to the headset, and also use the headset mic for input instead of the internal microphone.

So how does it do this? When you insert the plug, the Macbook checks to see what you inserted. It does this by testing the electrical properties of what you plugged in, to see if it looks like a headset. Some Macbooks just check to see if there is a microphone connected, while others check for the full headphones + microphone combination.

If the "is this a headset?" (ITAH) check comes back positive, then the Macbook switches to the external mic. If the ITAH comes back negative, it keeps using the internal mic. Either way, it always routes the sound output to the jack if something is plugged in (even if it's just a plug or splitter with nothing connected).

So, all the solutions on the internet basically boil down to this: To use a mic that is not part of a headset, you have to trick the Macbook into thinking you plugged in a headset.

But none of these solutions work with the Rode Wireless Go. After trying pretty much every possible combination, what I realized is that the Rode Wireless Go, for whatever reason, does not look to the Macbook like the mic of a headset. I suspect it's because it's a powered microphone rather than a passive one, but who knows.

Once you realize that you need a *different* microphone connected when you when you first plug something into the headset jack, there are a couple of ways to make it work.

Way 1: (requires a passive mic)

If you have the Rode Lav Go (or any passive mic, I'd guess), you can use a splitter that splits the TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve, 4 metal parts) connector into two jacks (I'll call them "halves") where you can plug headphones into one half and a mic into the other half (both of those are TRS, 3 metal parts). It's ok if you plug TRRS headphones into the headphone half, but it will not see the headset mic through that jack, so you will still need to plug a TRS mic into the mic half. Luckily, the Rode Lav Go is a passive mic with a TRS connector, so you can use it for this purpose. So instead of plugging the Lav into the Wireless Go, plug it directly into the splitter. Once the Lav and some headphones are connected to the splitter, plug the splitter into the Macbook. If you are looking at System Preferences / Sound / Input, then when you plug it in, it should switch from showing "Internal Microphone" to showing "External Microphone". This tells you immediately if it worked or not. If it worked, you can unplug the Lav from the splitter and plug it back into the Wireless Go transmitter, and plug the Wireless Go receiver into the splitter instead. Then it will work. You can leave the headphones plugged in or take them out, it doesn't matter once the computer has completed its ITAH test, which only takes a second or so.

Way 2: (requires a headset (or earpods, etc.) with a mic, like you might use with your phone)

If you only have the Rode Wireless Go (but not the Lav), then you will also need a TRRS extension cable, in addition to the headphone/mic splitter. Plug your headset into the extension cable, and plug that into the Macbook. As soon as System Preferences / Sound / Input shows that it is using the "External Microphone", you can unplug the headset from the extension cable and plug in your headphone/mic splitter with the Rode Wireless Go plugged into the mic half of the splitter. (You don't even need headphones on the other half.) Then it should work.

Way 3: (requires "a ton of new equipment" — thanks to CawdorPrincess for this method)

You could use the Rode AI-1 with the VLXR+ adaptor. Then you won't even use the headset jack, because the AI-1 connects via USB. After connecting everything, you can select the AI-1 via System Preferences / Sound / Input, or you can choose it in the drop-down list when you alt-click the speaker icon in the menu bar. (You will only see the speaker icon if you have selected "Show Volume in Menu Bar" at the bottom of the "System Preferences / Sound" preference pane.)

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 4:00 PM in response to noelle216

I have the Rode Wireless Go (plus the Rode Lav Go), and I like it, but I had a lot of trouble connecting it to my Macbook via the headset jack. I tried a lot of internet-suggested tricks but none of them worked. What I finally figured out is that the Macbook does not recognize the Rode Wireless Go as a microphone! Oddly enough, that was the key to getting it to work.

How to understand what your Macbook is doing:

The Macbook tries to make things "just work". You can plug in headphones or a headset, and it will just work. Headphones do not have a mic, but headsets do have mics. If you plug in headphones (no mic), the Macbook should obviously route the sound output to the headphones instead of the internal speakers, but still keep using the internal microphone for input. But if you plug in a headset (with a mic), then it should route the sound output to the headset, and also use the headset mic for input instead of the internal microphone.

So how does it do this? When you insert the plug, the Macbook checks to see what you inserted. It does this by testing the electrical properties of what you plugged in, to see if it looks like a headset. Some Macbooks just check to see if there is a microphone connected, while others check for the full headphones + microphone combination.

If the "is this a headset?" (ITAH) check comes back positive, then the Macbook switches to the external mic. If the ITAH comes back negative, it keeps using the internal mic. Either way, it always routes the sound output to the jack if something is plugged in (even if it's just a plug or splitter with nothing connected).

So, all the solutions on the internet basically boil down to this: To use a mic that is not part of a headset, you have to trick the Macbook into thinking you plugged in a headset.

But none of these solutions work with the Rode Wireless Go. After trying pretty much every possible combination, what I realized is that the Rode Wireless Go, for whatever reason, does not look to the Macbook like the mic of a headset. I suspect it's because it's a powered microphone rather than a passive one, but who knows.

Once you realize that you need a *different* microphone connected when you when you first plug something into the headset jack, there are a couple of ways to make it work.

Way 1: (requires a passive mic)

If you have the Rode Lav Go (or any passive mic, I'd guess), you can use a splitter that splits the TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve, 4 metal parts) connector into two jacks (I'll call them "halves") where you can plug headphones into one half and a mic into the other half (both of those are TRS, 3 metal parts). It's ok if you plug TRRS headphones into the headphone half, but it will not see the headset mic through that jack, so you will still need to plug a TRS mic into the mic half. Luckily, the Rode Lav Go is a passive mic with a TRS connector, so you can use it for this purpose. So instead of plugging the Lav into the Wireless Go, plug it directly into the splitter. Once the Lav and some headphones are connected to the splitter, plug the splitter into the Macbook. If you are looking at System Preferences / Sound / Input, then when you plug it in, it should switch from showing "Internal Microphone" to showing "External Microphone". This tells you immediately if it worked or not. If it worked, you can unplug the Lav from the splitter and plug it back into the Wireless Go transmitter, and plug the Wireless Go receiver into the splitter instead. Then it will work. You can leave the headphones plugged in or take them out, it doesn't matter once the computer has completed its ITAH test, which only takes a second or so.

Way 2: (requires a headset (or earpods, etc.) with a mic, like you might use with your phone)

If you only have the Rode Wireless Go (but not the Lav), then you will also need a TRRS extension cable, in addition to the headphone/mic splitter. Plug your headset into the extension cable, and plug that into the Macbook. As soon as System Preferences / Sound / Input shows that it is using the "External Microphone", you can unplug the headset from the extension cable and plug in your headphone/mic splitter with the Rode Wireless Go plugged into the mic half of the splitter. (You don't even need headphones on the other half.) Then it should work.

Way 3: (requires "a ton of new equipment" — thanks to CawdorPrincess for this method)

You could use the Rode AI-1 with the VLXR+ adaptor. Then you won't even use the headset jack, because the AI-1 connects via USB. After connecting everything, you can select the AI-1 via System Preferences / Sound / Input, or you can choose it in the drop-down list when you alt-click the speaker icon in the menu bar. (You will only see the speaker icon if you have selected "Show Volume in Menu Bar" at the bottom of the "System Preferences / Sound" preference pane.)

May 12, 2020 4:18 PM in response to noelle216

I am currently researching on this topic (but have not yet tried it) - my preferred solution would be to go from the receiver TRS output directly to USB C - I found a Boya adaptor cable which claims to convert TRS microphone signals to USB C - http://www.boya-mic.com/otheraccessories/1459.html

I will provide an update as soon as I have tried it (using Rode predecessor FilmMaker Kit).

BTW: The most elegant solution would be if Rode could provide a firmware update to connect the receiver USB C port directly to a Mac USB C port and transmit microphone signals fully digital; despite some research I didn't find any announcements of such functionality

Apr 2, 2020 12:02 AM in response to noelle216

Here's a reply I got from RODE on this topic. It's not very helpful but I guess it is what it is...

"To use the Wireless GO with your Macbook, you could use Rode AI-1 with the VLXR+ adaptor.

https://www.rode.com/accessories/vxlrplus

https://www.rode.com/interfaces/ai1

Please note that all computers internal chipsets and configurations are different, and we cannot always guarantee compatibility because of this. Mac's seem to be particularly sensitive with what devices they will and won't recognize."

If you know of a better solution that works without a ton of new equipment please let me know.

Apr 24, 2020 5:03 AM in response to noelle216

I've had the same problem with the same device and just solved it today. You either need one of these:

hhttps://www.rode.com/accessories/sc7

Or you can get an adaptor that plugs into the cable you already have with your Wireless Go:

https://www.rode.com/accessories/sc4

I have the latter and it works perfectly well. I don't know why they suggested you should buy the interface.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

May 31, 2020 12:40 AM in response to FractalOctopus

I've been doing the #madscientist routine all afternoon. I was first sold an ordinary audio splitter which didn't work. Went and got a splitter with designated microphone and headphone jacks. Had no trouble tricking MacBook Air into seeing my Rode Smart Lav as an external microphone but only if you plug the Smart Lav into Rode adapter cable SC7 and then into Mic jack, and headphones/earphones into headphone jack and into splitter ALL BEFORE you plug the splitter into Macbook headphone port. Only if the "circuit" is closed does the Macbook recognise the external microphone. Once it's tricked, you can unplug earphones/headphones and it still works. I also found a couple of times I had to retart the Macbook with splitter in Headphone jack for it to recognise when it booted up. Also no trouble using Smart Lav with Wireless Go and lightning adapter into iPhone or Ipad but the Macbook. Grrrrr. I have just about every Rode cable ever made and I can not connect the Smart Lav to the Wireless Go and into the Macbook at all, even by splitter method. That would make zoom conferencing and live training sessions completely wireless. I haven't tried it but there's no reason why the extension cable SC1 wouldn't give you more room to move with lav into extension cable into macbook via splitter method but you're still cabled. Anyone who has cracked the Smatrt lav to Wireless Go to Macbook Air, pray tell. Cheers all.

Jun 3, 2020 6:33 PM in response to dradavies

Hi Andrew, I dont have the SC4 but I have the SC1 and the SC7 and I can't get any combo of wireless go and cables to trick the macbook into converting headphone port to mic port even using the splitter technique. I'm at my wits end and have spent hours. My Mac Air is two years old plus so Rode just gave me the same message re "some just don't work" etc. but how old is your macbook? Thanks so much. And would you please give a sequential run down of what plugs into what? You may not use splitter at all....

Jun 4, 2020 12:38 AM in response to TheFazBaz

Hi - so I literally connect the red curly cable that came with the Wireless Go to the receiver and then I plug the SC4 into that. The grey end has to go to the MacBook, that’s really important. I don’t use a splitter at all and it works fine for me but I’m on a 2019 MBP 16” and it seems from the discussion above that the headphone/microphone jack is slightly different across various models. I have a 12” MacBook which I’ll try later, out of interest, but it might be that this just doesn’t work with every model.

Out of interest — do you have any older (non-lightning) Apple EarPods you could use to test? If the mic works on those then the Rode should work too (same cable configuration). But if it doesn’t then I don’t think the Rode is ever going to work for you I’m afraid without a USB interface.

Jun 8, 2020 2:01 PM in response to stephane265

Way 1 and Way 2 both work for me, and from everything I have read, they both should work for everybody, even with the most finicky macs.

Although I haven't tried it myself, I would be pretty sure Way 3 works too, as it totally avoids the headset jack, using USB instead, and it uses all parts in exactly the way they were meant to be used, so I would be very surprised if it doesn't work.

For Way 1, since I already had the Rode Lav Go, all I had to buy was the splitter (TRRS to 2xTRS) that splits the headset jack into a headphone jack and a microphone jack.

For Way 2, since I already had a headset with a microphone, all I had to buy was a headset extension cable (TRRS to TRRS). Then you also need either the splitter (same as in Way 1) or the Rode SC4 TRRS to TRS adapter (this adapter is the same as just the microphone side of a splitter). Way 2 works for me with either the splitter or the adapter.

Jun 8, 2020 2:18 PM in response to TheFazBaz

Hi FazBaz,

Did you try Way 1 or Way 2? You can use the SC1 as the TRRS extension cable for Way 2.

Remember, for both of these, you cannot start with the Wireless Go as the mic. You have to start with the Rode Smart Lav, which should work just as you describe it working, and then replace the Smart Lav with the Wireless Go without unplugging the cable that is plugged into the MacBook. If you have the SC1, that can be the cable you leave in the MacBook.

Jun 9, 2020 3:10 AM in response to FractalOctopus

Thanks so much. I think I tried as you suggested but even the tech in the sound shop I visited today to buy the Rode SC4 was shocked it didn’t work but said my older Mac Air had one internal audio pathway... he unplugged the splitter, put the SC1, 4 and 7 back in my bag and sold me a $21 USB audio device adapter that had both a headphone and mic jack. Lav into SC3 into Wireless Go transmitter and Wireless Go Receiver into std cable that comes with the Go and into Mac USB adapter. Hey Presto! Many thanks.

Jun 13, 2020 8:01 AM in response to noelle216

I just got my MacBook Pro 2019 (with USB C ports) up and running, and I successfully connected my Rode FilmMaker receiver to my MacBook Pro through the Boya BY-K2 adapter (http://www.boya-mic.com/otheraccessories/1459.html) - this is probably the most elegant approach currently available.

I also asked Rode to consider providing direct USB C to USB C connections from their Wireless GO receiver by adding an appropriate protocol on top of the existing firmware update protocol. No feedback so far.

BTW: I also successfully tested the Boya BY-M3 Lavalier microphone (with a USB C connector - http://www.boya-mic.com/lavaliermicrophones/1429.html).

Rode Go and MacBook Pro - how to connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.