You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can internet recovery still be used on an already formatted hard drive?

This might be a ridiculous question, but settle a debate for me? Theoretical question that came up while swapping the hard drive of a 2012 Mac Mini for a SSD. Say I boot up using target disk mode and format the startup disk using Disk Utility on another machine. If I then try to boot in recovery mode will anything happen? Is there a physical trigger that tells the Mac to go on the internet and find the recovery os or whatever it is? Or will it just be completely blank.

Thanks for satisfying this quandary.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 12:26 PM

On a 2012 or newer Mac, or some earlier ones with upgraded firmware, the Internet Recovery system is part of the firmware and can be accessed if the internal drive is blank or dead. Otherwise, it won't be available and the next installation needs to be performed from a physical disk.

(179850)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 12:26 PM in response to anselbobrow

On a 2012 or newer Mac, or some earlier ones with upgraded firmware, the Internet Recovery system is part of the firmware and can be accessed if the internal drive is blank or dead. Otherwise, it won't be available and the next installation needs to be performed from a physical disk.

(179850)

Can internet recovery still be used on an already formatted hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.