Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access iTunes Store bought content through Home Sharing and the Computers App on AppleTV (or iOS devices)

Hi,

I have a strange situation here.

I download a copy of my purchased TV shows and movies on to my NAS and have also set up home sharing so that my AppleTV 4k can access this content via the Computers App and also our iOS devices can access through Home Sharing as well. I do this to have a copy plus also quicker to transfer a copy to iPad vs downloading all the time.

After the latest Catalina, AppleTV & iOS update I can no longer stream via Home Sharing the downloaded purchased content. It says :this content cannot be played on apple tv" or on iOs device says "video can't be played because you don't have access to it or it's no longer available". When I try to play the downloaded content on the AppleTV app on my iMac it plays fine.

This also happened with non purchased content which disappeared completely, I had imported our family home videos on as a TV show. For this I just had to delete from the AppleTv App on my iMac and then reimport into the AppleTV app and it works fine, can be seen and watched.

Any suggestions? Seems to be a software bug?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 4:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 7:46 PM

I just spent 2.5 hours with tech support, all very nice people. What solved my problem for TV / Movies was like you said deauthorize and reauthorize my computer. I also has to rest the PRAM on my computer to clean out somethings as well because the TV and Movies option on my AppleTv has disappeared from the Computers App option. The Photos option is also gone but Support told me that I have to choose the folders to share with AppleTV when I am using iCloud Photos on the Mac (can choose all folders) eg. Share Select Albums, then tick the all albums - unfortunately that did. not work but I left that for now as using iCloud Photos on my AppleTV.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2020 7:46 PM in response to grimke

I just spent 2.5 hours with tech support, all very nice people. What solved my problem for TV / Movies was like you said deauthorize and reauthorize my computer. I also has to rest the PRAM on my computer to clean out somethings as well because the TV and Movies option on my AppleTv has disappeared from the Computers App option. The Photos option is also gone but Support told me that I have to choose the folders to share with AppleTV when I am using iCloud Photos on the Mac (can choose all folders) eg. Share Select Albums, then tick the all albums - unfortunately that did. not work but I left that for now as using iCloud Photos on my AppleTV.

Mar 28, 2020 7:29 PM in response to JonoSS

I had a problem like this a while back - have you tried re-authorising the Mac which hosts the library?

I'm also having home sharing issues...

I've downloaded purchased movies on my iMac and have home sharing set-up, however it seems that recently downloaded movies are no longer appearing in home sharing.

For instance, I downloaded the latest Star Wars movies a couple of weeks ago and it appears in home sharing but I downloaded a new movie I purchased today and it doesn't appear in home sharing!

Only thing that is different is that I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.4 between when I downloaded the Star Wars movie and today.

As you've suggested, seems to be buggy....

Can't access iTunes Store bought content through Home Sharing and the Computers App on AppleTV (or iOS devices)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.