Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie suddenly can't share

MacBook Pro Retina 15" mid 2015, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, iMovie 10.1.6, external hard drive for iMovie Library 2 (to save filling up my SSD)

I've used this to create scores of videos successfully for several years. I share to a file and then upload to YouTube.

Today, suddenly, I can no longer share a video from iMovie. I get the error "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1.)"

I've tried nearly every suggestion I've found in the various threads I've found, with no success. I've tried to share another video, which had previously shared successfully and get the same error. Apparently something has changed in the past three weeks or so, but nothing that I am aware of.

Help!

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 8:56 AM

Thanks Rich,

I have tried nearly all of the suggested "fixes" including Safe Boot, to no success. Finally, I plugged my external drive into my wife's MacBook Air (running the same OS and iMovie versions as mine) and was able to successfully share my movie.

I'm thinking that maybe this is the impetus that I need to upgrade my OS from El Capitan to something newer...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich,

I have tried nearly all of the suggested "fixes" including Safe Boot, to no success. Finally, I plugged my external drive into my wife's MacBook Air (running the same OS and iMovie versions as mine) and was able to successfully share my movie.

I'm thinking that maybe this is the impetus that I need to upgrade my OS from El Capitan to something newer...

Mar 29, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Bikefanatic

The Compressor Kit Error message has been reported with increasing frequency of late. No universal fix so far. The fix that has worked the most has been starting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and then after everything loads immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode.

Here's a link, though older, that pretty much describes where we are today with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for you.

-- Rich

Mar 29, 2020 10:13 AM in response to Bikefanatic

The Compressor Kit Error message has been reported with increasing frequency of late. No universal fix so far. The fix that has worked the most has been starting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and then after everything loads immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode.

Here's a link, though older, that pretty much describes where we are today with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for you.

-- Rich

iMovie suddenly can't share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.