Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Photos app on Mojave

Hi,

I upgraded from OSX 10.9 to 10.14 on a MacBook Pro 2013. iPhoto somehow wasn't upgraded to Photos and couldn't be launched either. I found an article on the web describing some steps of how to deal with software that wasn't upgraded, for instance Garage Band, iMovies, Numbers, Pages etc. The solution was to delete those apps then launch App Store and they would be installed.

One of the apps listed in the App Store that had to be upgraded was iPhoto. I followed the same steps from the article with iPhoto and deleted it...

Now the App Store launches fine but I lost iPhoto (emptied the trash)... Photos is part of the OS install and I hope I can at least get it installed with the next OS upgrade. Is there perhaps a way I can get it back without / before doing an upgrade to 10.15?

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:36 AM

The Photos.app is bundled with the macOS.

See /Applications/Photo.app and launch the application here— see if it imports your iPhoto data base.

Photos - Official Apple Support

Use Photos on your Mac - Apple Support

Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

You can "refresh" the macOS and applications by reinstall ingg the macOS on top of your existing macOS if neccessary:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2020 5:36 AM in response to cabousbeer

The Photos.app is bundled with the macOS.

See /Applications/Photo.app and launch the application here— see if it imports your iPhoto data base.

Photos - Official Apple Support

Use Photos on your Mac - Apple Support

Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

You can "refresh" the macOS and applications by reinstall ingg the macOS on top of your existing macOS if neccessary:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Mar 29, 2020 5:39 AM in response to cabousbeer

The 32-bit, iPhoto application was retired by Apple several years ago at version 9.6.1. You will need that last version for the application to work with Yosemite (10.10 through Mojave 10.14). Unless you have that preceding iPhoto version on a Time Machine backup, then all you can do is use the Photos application to migrate the iPhoto library — because Apple does not provide full installers of iPhoto, nor any updates to get to v9.6.1.

How to install Photos app on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.