Question: Catalina 10.15.4 SSH port > 8192 does not work when using server name instead of IP
This issue started just after upgrading to macOS Catalina 10.15.4.
After that update I am no longer able to open a SSH connection to a port greater than 8192 using server name (instead of IP). Yes, I do change the port on the server side prior to every test.
Earlier this command worked just fine:
ssh username@servername -p 10022 -v
Now in debug the last row is:
debug1: Connecting to username@server port 10022.
And then nothing. SSH command gets stuck and ctrl-c kills it.
However, this DOES work (of course assuming I have changed SSH port on the server to 1022).
ssh username@servername -p 1022 -v
Also, it does work if I use IP address instead of name like so:
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org -p 10022 -v
I have verified that:
- This happens on 4 unrelated Macs running 10.15.4.
- It does NOT occur on two other Macs running earlier OSes
- It did NOT occur on 10.15.3
- The problem occurs regardless of the target server (local network or outside)
- I have disabled Mac Firewall and Little Snitch (Little Snitch is installed in only one of the affected machines).
Can anybody figure out a reason why this happens? I'd really like to use server name instead of the IP address.
iMac Line (2012 and Later)