Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant says that "your disk could not be partitioned" in macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Just decided to clean up my computer and reinstall everything... was using the latest Mojave with a BOOTCAMP partition, upgraded to macOS 10.15 (Catalina), and then installed it from scratch, just to make sure I had a clean slate. So far so good.

But when I was trying to install the latest version of Windows 10 via Boot Camp Assistant, it started by wanting to remove the existing windows partition. I let it, and then, after waiting to download the Boot Camp Drivers, it gives me the error described in support document entitled "If Boot Camp Assistant says that your disk could not be partitioned".

(Curious and probably irrelevant detail: the Boot Camp Assistant shows two similar error popups in quick succession, both with a link to learn more. The link in the first popup opens the support document with Egypt as region, the second opens the same document with the US as region... I'm in neither and my computer is not configured for either.)

Unfortunately all solutions described in the said support document fail and I don't have Time Machine running.

Any idea what the problem (or the solution might be?)

Thx!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 5:44 AM

Ok, so I kept my installation media for macOS 10.15 (Catalina) handy, booted in Recovery mode and completely wiped out the entire internal disk (not just the Machintosh HD APFS Volume) to make sure there was nothing there when I installed it fresh.

Had exactly the same problem. So I dug a little bit deeper, as going to Disk Utility and running the First Aid on the Machintosh HD and Machintosh HD - Data APFS Volumes didn't find anything wrong:

• Using First Aid on the APFS Container Container disk1 it did show some "Mismatch between extentref entry reference count (1) and calculated fsroot entry reference count (0) for extent" errors on a hidden APFS Volume called VM (remember this is was a "virgin" installation, so these errors where created by the installation process itself)
  • Since Disk Utility didn't allow me to fix anything, I resorted to the Terminal and the equivalent command-line tool diskutil. A word of caution, typically command-line tools are case-sensitive, so be careful to use the commands exactly as I typed them (apart from the identifiers that may be different in your cases.
    • First I decided to verify again (my main APFS Container has disk1 as its identifier)
diskutil verifyVolume disk1
    • It showed me the same errors as before in the APFS Volume VM. I noted the specific volume's identifier (in my case disk1s4)
    • I tried to fix it using a different command to repair it but it didn't fix anything
diskutil repairVolume disk1s4

Since from within macOS it wasn't working I decided to reboot into Recovery mode and try to verify and repair the volume from there (you can open the Terminal from the Utilities menu). I felt really smart... but ended up giving me the same results

Searching online a bit, I figured out the VM volume is used as "swap" (VM stands for Virtual Memory) which means it doesn't hold any meaningful data after macOS shuts down!

Armed with this information I decided to try and reset it following the instructions here:

1 - First I listed the volumes (to guarantee I worked on the right one) using

diskutil list

2 - I noted the VM volume's identifier was now disk2s4

3 - Then I erased it using

diskutil apfs eraseVolume disk2s4 -name VM

4 - After that I listed the volumes again to check what was the identifier of the new VM Volume (for me it was the same disk2s4 identifier as before)

diskutil list

5 - Then I changed the type of the Volume to the correct one (this volume is meant to be used for Virtual Memory)

diskutil apfs chrole disk2s4 V

6 - To make sure the volume was now correctly set, I listed the APFS Volumes, I noted that the VM APFS Volume now had a (VM) next to its identifier... it had worked

diskutil apfs list

7 - Once this final step was done, I verified the entire Container (because I was in Recovery mode, its identifier was now disk2) to see if it had fixed the errors

diskutil verifyVolume disk2

8 - Lo and behold, none of the volumes showed any errors (including the reset VM volume)

Happy with myself, and finally with some hope I restarted my computer, ran Boot Camp Assistant and this time there were no problems partitioning the drive (nor later installing Windows).

Hope this detailed account of the steps I took to solve it may help others facing the same issue!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 5:44 AM in response to imagine.pt

Ok, so I kept my installation media for macOS 10.15 (Catalina) handy, booted in Recovery mode and completely wiped out the entire internal disk (not just the Machintosh HD APFS Volume) to make sure there was nothing there when I installed it fresh.

Had exactly the same problem. So I dug a little bit deeper, as going to Disk Utility and running the First Aid on the Machintosh HD and Machintosh HD - Data APFS Volumes didn't find anything wrong:

• Using First Aid on the APFS Container Container disk1 it did show some "Mismatch between extentref entry reference count (1) and calculated fsroot entry reference count (0) for extent" errors on a hidden APFS Volume called VM (remember this is was a "virgin" installation, so these errors where created by the installation process itself)
  • Since Disk Utility didn't allow me to fix anything, I resorted to the Terminal and the equivalent command-line tool diskutil. A word of caution, typically command-line tools are case-sensitive, so be careful to use the commands exactly as I typed them (apart from the identifiers that may be different in your cases.
    • First I decided to verify again (my main APFS Container has disk1 as its identifier)
diskutil verifyVolume disk1
    • It showed me the same errors as before in the APFS Volume VM. I noted the specific volume's identifier (in my case disk1s4)
    • I tried to fix it using a different command to repair it but it didn't fix anything
diskutil repairVolume disk1s4

Since from within macOS it wasn't working I decided to reboot into Recovery mode and try to verify and repair the volume from there (you can open the Terminal from the Utilities menu). I felt really smart... but ended up giving me the same results

Searching online a bit, I figured out the VM volume is used as "swap" (VM stands for Virtual Memory) which means it doesn't hold any meaningful data after macOS shuts down!

Armed with this information I decided to try and reset it following the instructions here:

1 - First I listed the volumes (to guarantee I worked on the right one) using

diskutil list

2 - I noted the VM volume's identifier was now disk2s4

3 - Then I erased it using

diskutil apfs eraseVolume disk2s4 -name VM

4 - After that I listed the volumes again to check what was the identifier of the new VM Volume (for me it was the same disk2s4 identifier as before)

diskutil list

5 - Then I changed the type of the Volume to the correct one (this volume is meant to be used for Virtual Memory)

diskutil apfs chrole disk2s4 V

6 - To make sure the volume was now correctly set, I listed the APFS Volumes, I noted that the VM APFS Volume now had a (VM) next to its identifier... it had worked

diskutil apfs list

7 - Once this final step was done, I verified the entire Container (because I was in Recovery mode, its identifier was now disk2) to see if it had fixed the errors

diskutil verifyVolume disk2

8 - Lo and behold, none of the volumes showed any errors (including the reset VM volume)

Happy with myself, and finally with some hope I restarted my computer, ran Boot Camp Assistant and this time there were no problems partitioning the drive (nor later installing Windows).

Hope this detailed account of the steps I took to solve it may help others facing the same issue!

Mar 29, 2020 9:56 PM in response to Loner T

hey there,

First of all, thanks for getting back to me! I read some of your other posts regarding issues with Catalina and Bootcamp, I believe? 😜

Going back to Mojave just to install Windows using the Bootcamp Assistant seems overkill... not impossible, but would rather explore other venues (that hopefully don’t require me to reformat my computer). I do want to keep Catalina moving forward.

I can always install it manually, not my first rodeo (main difference is I’m doing it in Catalina this time 😓) , I already figured out how to now create a partition using Disk Utility (despite APFS), I have the latest Windows 10 ISO and the latest Bootcamp Drivers (the nice Windows support folder) and know how to use them... but would rather do it “by the book” if possible, using Bootcamp Assistant.

And the computer is a MacBook Pro 13” 2016 w/ Touch Bar.

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it!

Boot Camp Assistant says that "your disk could not be partitioned" in macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.