Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search iOS Apps From Web or iTunes

I am trying to provide links to iOS apps in an email I am composing on my Mac - so that someone could read the email on their iOS device and have a link that takes them right to the iOS App Store to install the app. The Mac is running Mac OS 10.11.6 and iTunes 12.8.2.3. I know that you can no longer manage or install the iOS apps for your iOS device via iTunes after version 12.6.3, but is there a way to search them?

You can browse iOS apps from iTunes 12.8.2.3 if you click the "Store" button, then scroll to the bottom of the page and under "Explore" click "App Store", but typing in the search box only searches media (music, movies, tv shows, etc.) - I can find no way to search the iOS apps.

You can also browse the iOS App Store via this page on Apple's site:

https://apps.apple.com/bt/genre/ios/id36

But again, I can find no search function (and paging through millions of apps is a headache).

I have also somehow managed to figure out this workaround: If I type "https://appstore.com/search" into my web broswer, it will open a screen in iTunes where I can browse iOS apps, and on the upper left there is a button that says "Power Search" which allows the search function I am looking for. However, I cannot seem to navigate to this screen from within iTunes (and it's a pain to open the browser, and load the link just to be sent back to iTunes - even though I have it bookmarked).

I feel like I'm missing something, or going about this the wrong way. Is there an easier way to search the apps and grab links to them? Is there a way to search the iOS apps I can browse @ https://apps.apple.com/bt/genre/ios/id36 ? Is there a way I can navigate to this "Power Search" function from within iTunes? Are these just remnants from Apple discontinuing iTunes and the old "iTunes Store"? Is this just the way it has to be done now?

Any help, tips, or info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:56 PM

>>and it's moot anyway because once you do find the app you can't get a link that will open it in the iOS app store on an iOS device.<<

Have you tested this on an iOS device? If Apple did their part properly, even if the link momentarily opens in a browser, it should be immediately redirected to the App Store and open there.

Yes, another posting here, with different wording, might offer fresh insights. I’ll stay away from it :-)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 8:56 PM in response to Wengro

>>and it's moot anyway because once you do find the app you can't get a link that will open it in the iOS app store on an iOS device.<<

Have you tested this on an iOS device? If Apple did their part properly, even if the link momentarily opens in a browser, it should be immediately redirected to the App Store and open there.

Yes, another posting here, with different wording, might offer fresh insights. I’ll stay away from it :-)

Mar 30, 2020 8:43 PM in response to Rysz

I'm aware of Handoff, and yes, I could do that with a newer Mac/current macOS. Again, I was hoping there was a way to do it all from the Mac/iTunes/Web, as if I had no iOS device at all. Call me old school, but I like to use a large screen and full keyboard for long, detailed emails, especially ones with various links and media embedded - doing it all on my iOS device becomes cumbersome for me.

I'm also aware you can look up the apps alphabetically here: https://apps.apple.com/bt/genre/ios/id36 but there is no search function available, and it's moot anyway because once you do find the app you can't get a link that will open it in the iOS app store on an iOS device.

The crazy thing is that I found a way to do all this via iTunes, but I can't navigate to it from within iTunes! I was able to find a browser link that opens a "Power Search" of the iOS App Store within iTunes here https://appstore.com/search

The only problem is that I have to open a browser and type it in or click the bookmark, only to be sent back to iTunes. Maybe I should re-post my issue with just that question.

Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm starting to feel like Apple wants me to do it via newer technologies like you mentioned and I'm here trying to find a work-around with what's left of iTunes as they are bringing it to an end.

Mar 30, 2020 7:35 PM in response to Wengro

A little clarification if the question in my third sentence is confusing: I'm talking about searching, finding and grabbing links for any app available on the iOS App Store, (from my Mac, to be put in an email message I'm composing on my Mac) NOT for the apps I have installed on my iOS device, or used to manage in iTunes. As mentioned, I know that the version of iTunes I have doesn't even allow me to manage my iOS apps any more, and I haven't for years.

Mar 30, 2020 7:51 PM in response to Wengro

Perhaps I’m still not getting it, but you seem to be saying you have an iOS device.

If true, search the App Store app on that device, copy the link as shown on my screenshot (it’s not from tvOS) and send it to yourself on the Mac thru one of many possible methods, email, message, synced Notes, etc.

Mar 30, 2020 7:53 PM in response to Rysz

I'm sorry, maybe you did get it and I didn't get your reply! I'm a doofus, your screenshot is obviously iOS, I apologize. I do have an iOS device and I could do it the way you suggest. In fact, the method you describe could be the best way currently available. I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to do it completely from my Mac, without having to grab the links on the iOS device and send them to myself on the Mac.

Mar 30, 2020 8:07 PM in response to Wengro

Not with your current Mac OS version.

It is possible to “preview” apps in a browser, but you need the exact app name to search for, which is not what you’re looking for.

If your Mac had a much more recent OS version, Apple has a technology called Handoff, which allows you to copy something on one device and paste it on another, so no “sending”. This technology also allows you to work on a document (including email) on one device, add to it on another, complete it on the first, etc., all via iCloud.

In your case, emailing or messaging, is probably as easy as it will get, unless you just want to compose the entire email, right on the iOS device, or at least start a draft of it there, then send it yourself for final editing.

Mar 30, 2020 9:16 PM in response to Rysz

HOLY COW... I was testing it on an iOS device (probably at the same time you were typing your reply) and the first one I tried opened the app store but to a blank page that said "App Not Available." After I read it in your reply, I tried again with a very popular game and IT WORKED! It took me right to the app in the app store.

So even though there is no search function available for the listings, I can look up the app, and once I find it, use the link to the page. It ain't pretty, but it gets the job done!

Thank you again, I bow to you, good sir!!!

I may still make a new post asking about the power search of iOS apps in iTunes and why I am able to get to it from a browser link but not from within iTunes itself - that seems odd. And again, iTunes is saying goodbye, so maybe those features are just being removed. But you were extremely helpful here and I wouldn't ask you to stay away from it at all!

Search iOS Apps From Web or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.