Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does 2018 Mac Mini support DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

Would appreciate an answer to this seemingly simple question: does 2018 Mac Mini support USB-C DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

I have a monitor that claims to be supporting it. Yet when I connected the monitor to the Mac Mini, the monitor was not aware of the connection and powered off eventually.

The cable is USB-C PD, which came with my MBP, and I know it is working fine.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Robert

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 3:35 PM

You are correct, unfortunately Apple's USB-C ports, in reality they are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports, on their Macs do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to DisplayPort adapter/cable: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

More details on the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the adapters here: Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2020 3:35 PM in response to klock379

You are correct, unfortunately Apple's USB-C ports, in reality they are actually Thunderbolt 3 ports, on their Macs do not support DisplayPort Alt Mode.

You will need to use a Thunderbolt 3(USB-C) to DisplayPort adapter/cable: Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

More details on the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the adapters here: Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your Mac or iPad Pro - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2020 10:07 AM in response to klock379

see > Connect multiple displays to your Mac mini (2018) - Apple Support

It looks like you should be able to use a > Moshi USB-C to DisplayPort Cable - Apple

If not, then you will need a > About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

and a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable > Startech White Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable

(I used the Startech Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for example)

Mar 31, 2020 7:56 AM in response to klock379

What is the make and model of the monitor?

and what ports does it have?

just so you know, if you are going from USB-C to USB-C then there is no display port involved. Display port is a type of connection. You can't have display port over USB-C.

The USB-C port on the monitor would need to be a Thunderbolt port to accept a video connection directly. If its just a data port to run the monitor's other usb ports then it won't work.

Mar 31, 2020 1:14 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

It is an LG 29UM69G-B, and it has 3 ports at the back: HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB-C (DP Alt Mode).

Based on what I read on the Internet, USB-C standard supports Alternative Mode, which is designed to allow USB connections to carry non-USB signal. As such, you can use it to carry DisplayPort signals without having to rely on Thunderbolt 3. https://www.anandtech.com/show/8558/displayport-alternate-mode-for-usb-typec-announced

And the article further suggested that USB-C PD cables also do support DP Alt mode by design. But USB-C has been quite confusing (for me) and I thought I should ask.

It is very likely that Mac Mini 2018 does not support USB-C DP Alt Mode, and I will need a USB-C to HDMI or to DisplayPort adaptor, if so, that's too bad. What frustrates me is that nowhere on the Internet I can find information about what USB-C standards Apple computers support.

Thx.

Does 2018 Mac Mini support DisplayPort Alternative Mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.