Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to transfer data from 256 GB iPhone to 128GB iPhone

Hello,

I am currently using iPhone 7 Plus (256 Gb) and I want to transfer data from 256Gb iPhone 7 Plus to 128 gb iPhone 7 Plus. I have check in setting/general/iPhone storage and what I see is 53.2GB storage is used on my 256gb iPhone. And I have kept my photos to optimise iPhone storage as I have almost 200gb of photos on my iCloud, but when I am taking backup using my Mac the backup size of my iPhone device comes arround 150gb but when I checked on my iPhone device it shows used storage as 53.3GB. I tried directly tran hu sferring data from this iPhone to 128 gb iPhone but that also shows error that I don’t have enough space. How can I solve this? Please help!

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2020 1:57 PM

Hello amarv91,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you’re trying to back up and then restore your backup on an iPhone with less physical storage; I'd like to help.

When you back up your iPhone it's done so it can be restored in full on a device. The backup would not include things like optimized photos. Once the backup is restored you can then choose to go in on the new device and optimize photos, but that would come after you restore the backup.

Here's an article that may be able to help:

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

The following article also has information on steps you can take when you move to a lower capacity device:

Move from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a lower capacity device - Apple Support

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2020 1:57 PM in response to amarv91

Hello amarv91,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you’re trying to back up and then restore your backup on an iPhone with less physical storage; I'd like to help.

When you back up your iPhone it's done so it can be restored in full on a device. The backup would not include things like optimized photos. Once the backup is restored you can then choose to go in on the new device and optimize photos, but that would come after you restore the backup.

Here's an article that may be able to help:

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

The following article also has information on steps you can take when you move to a lower capacity device:

Move from your current iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a lower capacity device - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Apr 3, 2020 6:25 AM in response to c_luc9

Hello,

As you mentioned that backup does not consider optimised photos but in my case i guess there was some temp files of photos app which was making this trouble, when i checked in the iPhone storage it was using 53gb out of which photos was taking around 14.55gb but when i was making a back and when i crossed check the backup size on my mac it showed backup size as 150gb hence i was not able to transfer the data to my 128gb phone, so what i did i filled my entire 256gb on my iPhone with apps & games it helped me to remove those temp files (Optimised photos file i think) and then i removed all those apps and games and again it got me to a usage of 53gb and then i tried restoring from iPhone to iPhone directly & it worked!

I appreciate your time to help, thanks a lot!

Regards

Amar

Not able to transfer data from 256 GB iPhone to 128GB iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.